It went down like a bomb

Hi guys, went ferreting last week expecting it to be the last time. We had quite some success, plenty of fat rabbits with hardly any carrying.

We had the odd dig, always seem to get them on hedgerows, and on one warren the locators would not pick the ferrets up they were that deep. Unfortunately we only took 8ft locators, (I know you dont have to say it) and it was ages before one of the ferrets appeared and about 40 minutes before the second. They must have gone really deep as they were soaked as they came out, the water table must be well up and in the burrows.

One of the digs was about 4 1/2 foot deep and althought the soil was sandy and soft the roots were a pain. As we dug the hole wider to get our shoulders in to retreive the ferret and rabbit we hit something metal, I dragged it out and as I was holding it in my hand a terrible thought entered my head.

This lump of metal was actually a very rusty, dirty anti aircraft shell, and live, these old shells are very volatile and unpredictable so it got gently laid on the field where I took this picture. After the pic was took it went back into the hole with kid gloves on and 4 and a half foot of soil back filled onto it.

It would never be turned over by a tractor and under a hawthorn hedge I reckon it would be rather safe. The farm was actually part of a second world war air base that was lancaster bomber command so would think there are many more treasures hiding below the surface. I will of course be very carefull in future when digging and did inform the farmer of the find.

Just wondered if anyone else had found anything dodgy or interesting while digging.

post-13613-126807174266_thumb.jpg

Dug up a sawn off shotgun used in a local armed robbery they syuck it down the rabbit hole ,i put my fert in and he could not get down the hole so syuck my arm down the hole and pulled it out and it was still loaded phoned the old bill who started asking some questions in a very intimidating manner but all ws good in the end.