hold over and hold under

hi, im going roost shooting tommorow and i just wanted to know if when you shooting up at something like a 60 degree angle wether you should put some hold under or hold over because of the effect of gravity. my zero range is 30 yrds so how much will i need to hold under or hold over when shooting at high up pigeons.

thanks,

Aaron :thumbs:

As said above Aaron it depends on what your using. On way to find out would be to find a mark on a tree at about the height you are expecting to be shooting at. Aim at it and see where you pellet goes in relation to it. (Then fire a few more until you have worked out where to aim to hit your target spot on. Might be hard to do unless your scope is good as will be hard to see the pellet.

Obviously it then depends on where the birds are but unless they are significantly higher or lower it will not make huge differences, so just adjust small amounts to compensate.

Hope that was helpful.

Freddy

If you are shooting at 60 degress to the horizontal plane then you will need to aim low Arron buddy.

If you keep to you 30 yard zero range, hold under will do it but if you are shooting further than your zereo range at that angle then you will not have to aim so low due to the effect of slant range over the trajectory.

You have to aim low when shooting at steeps inclines and declines, only ever adding holdover to compensate for slant range.

The amount of hold under must be learnt with experience pal, but shooting at leaves or twigs at the estimated angle and range will give you a good indiction.

Si

Edited by zini

If you are shooting at 60 degress to the horizontal plane then you will need to aim low Arron buddy.

If you keep to you 30 yard zero range, hold under will do it but if you are shooting further than your zereo range at that angle then you will not have to aim so low due to the effect of slant range over the trajectory.

You have to aim low when shooting at steeps inclines and declines, only ever adding holdover to compensate for slant range.

The amount of hold under must be learnt with experience pal, but shooting at leaves or twigs at the estimated angle and range will give you a good indiction.

Si

no wonder i can never hit stuff in trees. i always hold over !!

Interesting thread for a hunting forum :thumbs:

I spent quite a few years on the comp circuit-shooting mostly Hunter Field Target type events, so had to learn very quickly, the effects of gravity on the trajectory of a pellet at different angles.

Hypothetical situation: you are using a .177 air rifle, with the power circa 11.3 ft llbs-(775fps). You are zeroed at 35 yards (although this is not going to affect this summary.)

Shooting at 45 degrees (into a tree, perhaps), you will find that your pellet will strike higher than your zero-the reduced effects of gravity are in play. I found that my normal aim point for 30-32 yards would be smack on at 35, my 35 yard aim point would be smack on at 40 yards, and my 39/40 yard aim point would be used at 45 yards. So, to summarise, knock off 5-6 yards distance when shooting at 45 degrees, at distances over 30-35 yards :thumbs:

If you extrapolate this to longer ranges, the number of yards you knock off is NOT exponential-ie: the amount you knock of will reduce, due to the effects of power loss at greater distances.

This theory applies in exactly the same way, when shooting down steep banks.