Incubating eggs

A chap today offered to lend me his incubator so I was thinking of getting a few duck eggs to start off with. I was going to get some Khaki Campbell ducks anyway this spring so I thought I would give it a go starting with eggs.

Have you done it? are there any places to avoid getting the eggs? good places to get the eggs? even better if someone has some for free duck goose or guinea fowl hatching eggs for me to try.

A chap today offered to lend me his incubator so I was thinking of getting a few duck eggs to start off with. I was going to get some Khaki Campbell ducks anyway this spring so I thought I would give it a go starting with eggs.

Have you done it? are there any places to avoid getting the eggs? good places to get the eggs? even better if someone has some for free duck goose or guinea fowl hatching eggs for me to try.

better wie ducks first time you can get eggs from alotment men or odd farm that keeps them seen some on tops nr bakewell today as it happens but like i say try ducks first you wont lose as many good luck harry

Hiya I have hatched many a chick & ducks! If you have any questions dont hesitate to pm me i will try and answer them as best i can. Kc are one of the easiest ducks to hatch and eggs are to die for! Dont put duck eggs and chicken eggs intogether (incubating) I learned the hard way and ened up with a few dis (dead in shell). Very gutting after the 28 days waiting lol.

I put a dozen duck eggs in yesterday I have marked them x and o and intend to turn them twice a day. I will get some photos up soon of the set up. Got to fetch my daughter from the airport after work today so may do photos tomorrow night.

regards

Hcc

I`ve hatched a few geese in incubators,but the % success rate is very poor.You need to turn them morning and night,ensure the temperature and humidity is right etc.I hatched 2 out of 12 last time.You`re better off buying day olds and keeping them under a heat lamp for a month,they`ll be fine then.I`ve never kept ducks so can`t tell what their eggs are like to hatch.Have a look at "Cyril Bason" website,they`re not expensive and also deliver.

got to turn them at least three times mate, ive just hatched 8 out of 10 gingers(oxford)

Yep, thats right, always turn an odd number of times,3,5,7, whatever. This means that overnight, the longest period without being turned alternates. I've had 100% hatches in home made incubators but you've got to get things right. Good luck.

when i incubate eggs i turn four times a day and i get very good results. But thats hens eggs not ducks.

Sam

A study I read found that the optimum frequency for turning eggs was 96 times a day, but that 24 times was more practical. That is for automatic,so if turning by hand the more times the better and again, if you turn an odd number of times the eggs spend alternate nights on a different side, which is standard practice. So in your case turning 3 times would be better than 4, but not as good as 5.