belgium double folding .410

Correct me if I am wrong on this, but I have seen one of these collapsible 410s, and I was told the design was originally for concealment, and was so widely used by poachers that it became known as a "poacher's gun". I ought to know this history with a little more certainty than I do, given that my grandad was once a poacher in the UK moors, before landing a job as gamekeeper after he got caught.

The collapsible 410 specimen I saw belonged to my uncle, now in his 90s, but he has always been a spinner of tall tales, so I can't be too sure how much truth there is to his explanation of that design.

Correct me if I am wrong on this, but I have seen one of these collapsible 410s, and I was told the design was originally for concealment, and was so widely used by poachers that it became known as a "poacher's gun". I ought to know this history with a little more certainty than I do, given that my grandad was once a poacher in the UK moors, before landing a job as gamekeeper after he got caught.

The collapsible 410 specimen I saw belonged to my uncle, now in his 90s, but he has always been a spinner of tall tales, so I can't be too sure how much truth there is to his explanation of that design.

First thing I thought! Poacher's gun. Probably advertised as "traveller's" or "collector's"!

I did have one of these and definitely didn't use it when out after rabbits inside my long jacket. Even though they could be concealed very well with a long jack which had a hole in the pocket so it could be held by the hand. No sir ee. I never did me. But they was definitely known as a poachers gun. Small light quiet--ish. You should hear the single shot silenced one. Or rather not hear it. :whistling:

I did have one of these and definitely didn't use it when out after rabbits inside my long jacket. Even though they could be concealed very well with a long jack which had a hole in the pocket so it could be held by the hand. No sir ee. I never did me. But they was definitely known as a poachers gun. Small light quiet--ish. You should hear the single shot silenced one. Or rather not hear it. :whistling:

:clapper::clapper::clapper:

A mate of mine has one with a 20" barrel. He would never use it in the field of course.