• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest whitser

imo a good sized january dog fox would test any dog. to say a terrier that works winter after winter underground after foxes hasn't been tested is a bit over the top. fact is terriers are killed by foxes, if thats not a test what is? other animals do test the terrier to the limit but that doesn't mean that a fox is a walk over.

I'm not so stupid to put photos of that quarry on a pubblic forum and thats all.I think every one know what i'm talking about.if you want to know our way of hunting is a very simple way go to a set,put a dog in no matter what live in the set,wait for a bolt if it dont appens put another dog,if even it fails to bolt you dig.If the dogs quit put another or two others.loks very simple and i've yet to see a fox giving us so much problems.i've seen dogs die soffocated,killed by badgers,killed by too much porcupine spikes or trapped in rock,I've seen dogs enter in a den and simply disappear but not a dog killed by a fox

for Nell i've never criticised someones dogs, every dog that makes his owner proud is a good dog.

I've only talked about my experience in a different land,sorry if someone get offended with my words.

if your dogs are that hard that a fox aint a good test for them whats all this about doubling up???? is this not a prime way to suffocate a earth dog?? or kill him by gettin pushed forward into his quarry by the dog behind him tryin to push past??? is it not right that by puttin a second dog in your reducing the chance of a bolt?? I have no real right to say it as i have never met you but your words dont sound like they come from someone who i would call a true earth worker,,, so come on get some pics up of your terriers as im sure they will be some state if they av been working any quarry that is more of a test than a fox,,, dont tell me val your terriers dont get marked up :hmm: some dogs you must have mate.. o how i wish mine were as good

:D Lamping Lurcher; Ye have inside of three years to make it to my land, mate. And I'll do my uttmost to give ye a f***ing good time! They won't even consider serving ye over here till then, but I always have some Guinness in the fridge. Three cans is ye limit till then though ;)Then we can Bull Shit! :laugh:

Good on ye, mate. World needs more youngsters like you :good:

And what is that fasinating Dog on ye avvie, my man?

good man mate - i have relatives in s.ireland, ill tell the folks im stayin with then and offski to yours eh?! :11: :11: im sure you would show me a good time mate :signthankspin:

dog in my avvy is a "bull" pm if you want details on it mate :whistle: ;)

the way I hunt is the way my father and other older hunters teached me when I was a boy,it worked for them and still works for me.For my experience in a big set 2 dogs will bolt their quarry faster,I know its dangerous but we still do it expecially in rock.my dog is not hard by anyones standards,but works well and has the all important ability to adapt to the situation.I mean he will stand back and bay when he faces hard quarry and he will go harder when he faces easier quarry.Lots of dogs selected on fox only will allways go hard and if they meet a something harder they will end up well beaten.

Hi !

I´m new to the game and this was my first season ( legally ) on Badgers ! The next time it will be my first season on foxes !

Everytime we dig to the dog´s on Badgers the dog´s got their marks , but the Oldtimer i learn from and wich took me to the digging´s allway´s told me that he lost a lot more dog´s at Foxes than on Badgers !

Only dug to a fox once ( till now , but can´t wait for the next time ) ! It was a youngfox and it wasn´t deep , so we were quick at them , and it was an expierienced Dog , O.k. the fox was nearly dead when we break trough but the other day the Dog got a head like an Bullterrier , so what would happen when this young fox were an adult dog fox or an adult female ?

We got 2 Badgerdens to clean in the next week and than a few week´s later the season on fox start´s so than i can tell more about them what i think but every Terrierman here told me that the Fox is a harder Quarry than the Badger , i will see !

Greeting´s

Steezy

Last Dig with my Diggingmate´s bitch Troubles ! Pure Nuttall !

ps. - Valerio is it right that there is an patterdale Newsletter out in italy ? if yes , were can i get it and is it about working or only just for fun ?

Edited by steezy
Hi !

I´m new to the game and this was my first season ( legally ) on Badgers ! The next time it will be my first season on foxes !

Everytime we dig to the dog´s on Badgers the dog´s got their marks , but the Oldtimer i learn from and wich took me to the digging´s allway´s told me that he lost a lot more dog´s at Foxes than on Badgers !

Only dug to a fox once ( till now , but can´t wait for the next time ) ! It was a youngfox and it wasn´t deep , so we were quick at them , and it was an expierienced Dog , O.k. the fox was nearly dead when we break trough but the other day the Dog got a head like an Bullterrier , so what would happen when this young fox were an adult dog fox or an adult female ?

We got 2 Badgerdens to clean in the next week and than a few week´s later the season on fox start´s so than i can tell more about them what i think but every Terrierman here told me that the Fox is a harder Quarry than the Badger , i will see !

Greeting´s

Steezy

ps. - Valerio is it right that there is an patterdale Newsletter out in italy ? if yes , were can i get it and is it about working or only just for fun ?

nice dog mate but if someone told y that fox is harder than badger i can tell y it bullshit, that badger is really small probably y never saw a huge badger dog, i try to bring some pics, in next few weeks we ll hunt badgers, when y ll see some creatures which are over 20kg then y ll tell me what is harder, and also there s a difference between 6kg patt and 10kg jagterrier be sure that really hard dog of this size is too much for any fox, its 99percent for dog 1 percent for fox, it s like to match pit bull against other breed, there s always chance to lose but very small. size, bones, head, teeth, mucles, it all counts.

but i ve to say adult fox is always hard test for any terrier.

Edited by matulkoh
Valerio-Perhaps the standard of terrier is dropping in your country due to all this doubling up .We still have good dogs well capable of the real deal single handed so look closer to home before you want to improve ours .

you beat me to it there F/D,one earth one dog.as for the fox being no match,well i've done enough diggin in the past,& seen many a GOOD terrier have less than an easy time of it against ol charlie.if i was a cynical fella i'd say this thread was an anti wind up...

I'm sorry - Ive got to say it ( and I'm surprised no-one else has ) Valerio - you are full of SHIT - I have seen a fox turn over the hardest of terriers - I have dug down and found big hard terrers at a loss what to do with a canny fox in a rocky place - and getting a kicking into the bargain.

Ok Badger is another proposition but fox is all we've got right now and if my pup can kill a fox before I get to him - Ill be happy.

ps - wrote this reply at 1.30 am - just in from pub so forgive any poor grammar or extreme views as I was vwery drunk at the time.......

Hi !

Greeting´s

Steezy

nice dog mate but if someone told y that fox is harder than badger i can tell y it bullshit, that badger is really small probably y never saw a huge badger dog, i try to bring some pics, in next few weeks we ll hunt badgers, when y ll see some creatures which are over 20kg then y ll tell me what is harder, and also there s a difference between 6kg patt and 10kg jagterrier be sure that really hard dog of this size is too much for any fox, its 99percent for dog 1 percent for fox, it s like to match pit bull against other breed, there s always chance to lose but very small. size, bones, head, teeth, mucles, it all counts.

but i ve to say adult fox is always hard test for any terrier.

Ok , maybe i use the wrong words " not harder " , but the percentage here on loosing dog´s to foxes than to badgers is higher ! blive me i saw a few over 20 kg´s and all worked by 6-7 kg patt´s ! and every badger also got another charakter , got nothing to do with weight ! ...and the german jagd is not the most used dog anymore here on Badgers ...why ...to stupid , the hunters lost to much on badgers ! Everytime the same excuse for not working their terriers in the earth ...we hunt Wild Boars and don´t want our terrier to go down ! ! ! Maybe i count´s what you write about theeth , mucles, head... if you want to go to shows ! Why are most of the good Working Terrier´s and pitty´s ugly as hell ( sorry mates :-) ) ?! ... only heart , intelligence and gameness count´s at the end of the day ! And than the best worker is the nicest looking dog for you !

You must be an eyespezialist , only looking at a picturea and tell me that is a small badger ! what weight you see on the dog ?

what about that size ?

Greeting´s

Steezy

Edited by steezy

valerio

just wondered what length of time your dogs stay to ground ?

come jan feb and the dog foxes are at home and hormonal (gagging for a shag :11: ) there is your test or if it has been dug before and your in a tight place.

size of fox is irrelevent i feel as a 30lb dog fox was dug last season to a hard terrier with very little damage to the dog yet the same dog on an adverage size vixen was a diffrent story !

some foxes take the fight to the dog !

lots of senarios earth size and type rock borran,sand,all make a diffrence.

blackpack

did you have a joint meet with the waen foxhounds last season ?

all i can say is that valerio cannot think anything of his dogs if he doubles them up.not very fair pushing your dog to its death when it is giving everything for you.even worse suffocating them when they are doing a hard enough job as it is.one earth one dog.then it is fair for terrier and its quarry.cheers mouse.