whats a good % of protein

what is a good amount of protein to have in a complete dog food, as high as possible 28% or maybe 21%, i know too much protein can be bad for working dogs (or so im lead to believe) but what do the experts think is a good % of protein...?????

thinking of changing food to something with higher protein count as mine in only 19%

dr john platinum 25% protein

red mills racer 27% protein

chudleys working crunch 24% protein

beta greyhound 28% protein

what is a good amount of protein to have in a complete dog food, as high as possible 28% or maybe 21%, i know too much protein can be bad for working dogs (or so im lead to believe) but what do the experts think is a good % of protein...?????

thinking of changing food to something with higher protein count as mine in only 19%

dr john platinum 25% protein

red mills racer 27% protein

chudleys working crunch 24% protein

beta greyhound 28% protein

i prefere i really high protein around 28% and when bringing pups up i have a 30% puppy food but its not just about protein you have to have all the right amino acids and vitamins and minerals in the food to help assist the dogs body in the break down of the protein so the body can use this as energy other wise the protein turns to fat cells if not broken down. also the first ingrediant in the food should be meat. if it is a cereal based food it again doesnt give the dog the best source of energy. there are many good foods most of the above are good. always if you can give the dog a mixture of raw meat as it helps the conditioning and tone of the dogs with as much complete food as needed. i give my dogs a few lb of mince or chicken plus the daily requirments of dry food. i would use any of the above apart from doctor johns as when i used it my dog had good stamina and strong work drive but poor recovery on the day after. <actually took to days to recover> when other foods he was on he could do in a day

I wish they made a great dog food that was a 24/30.

You need more fat in a workin dogs diet than protein in my opinion.

you need more fat then protein sorry but whats balls thats like asking an althelte do yea want this glass off fat or portein only think fat is for is bitches in pup and pups them selfs a working dog needs portein and lots off it not fat

you need both protein is one of the first to burn fat only gets burnt once all the other stores have been used. but most good foods should be 25-28% protein and 12-18% oil. but your right oil is just as important as once all the protein stores are gone it feeds on the fats rather than your dogs body mass. but if you dont run your dog enough on these high protein and fat diets you'l have one fat dog so no good for off season dogs

i use gain 28% for my racing greyhounds and lurchers and tried all of them and find this as good and better than most i also feed meat and vitamins but if any are off injured or lurchers in the summer i lower the prot for them and buy a resting feed all dogs need a certain amount of fat in their diet. and to much protien with not enough work is not good for the dogs at the end of the day its all about balance and common sense if you want to know all about diet for a working/racing dog you could do worse than buying charlie listers book on greyhounds full of usefull tips on feeding and training a dog to full fitness. and finding injuries.

you need both protein is one of the first to burn fat only gets burnt once all the other stores have been used. but most good foods should be 25-28% protein and 12-18% oil. but your right oil is just as important as once all the protein stores are gone it feeds on the fats rather than your dogs body mass. but if you dont run your dog enough on these high protein and fat diets you'l have one fat dog so no good for off season dogs

ive got 24% protein pascoes gold. but a dog like a human uses fat first then protein as a last resort its called hitting the wall because it takes longer to break protein into energy than fats and glucose.

you need more fat then protein sorry but whats balls thats like asking an althelte do yea want this glass off fat or portein only think fat is for is bitches in pup and pups them selfs a working dog needs portein and lots off it not fat

I think you better do a little research before you go tellin me what I know and dont know.

ive got 24% protein pascoes gold. but a dog like a human uses fat first then protein as a last resort its called hitting the wall because it takes longer to break protein into energy than fats and glucose.

Correct and most bagged foods are shit cause there are way too many carbohydrates in it and dogs do not need or utilize that much carbs. They are extremely efficient at burning fat and protein but protein is an extremely shit energy source. Very good answer fella, thanks. Truthfully a dog should be able to do very well off of a 25/25 type diet but I run my dogs a whole lot and that is why I would rather see a lot higher fat content in feeds.