trainig a whippet to the lamp help

My whippet dog is now 12 mths old, i have had him out ratting and rabbiting and he is great at it. i took him out the other night with the lamp and he was like a different dog :wallbash: he would not leave my side, he usually chases anything that moves but he was not having any of it. Can anyone make any suggestions please

Zo

My whippet dog is now 12 mths old, i have had him out ratting and rabbiting and he is great at it. i took him out the other night with the lamp and he was like a different dog :wallbash: he would not leave my side, he usually chases anything that moves but he was not having any of it. Can anyone make any suggestions please

Zo

keep at he he ll soon relise what s on the other side of the beam try walking right on to a sitter

walk up on the sitters mate,give the dog some encouragement,letting it know that something is about to happen,dont worry if its not looking in the right direction at this stage,when your right on top of it encourage the dog and if need be kick the rabbit up,and then when its taken off,right under the dogs nose slip him,you will have to keep doing this for a while the dog will soon learn to look down the lamp and assosiate quarry in the beam,eventually you want to be able to slip him,even if he cannot see the quarry,but have trust in your judgement that there is infact something there and follow the beam down,little bit of trial and error mate but easily mastered by most dogs within a few trips,good luck :thumbs:

Edited by watchman