220 yard doe

Again I agree with all the above statments. I have shot deer at long range and after 21 years killing deer am confident to do so. BUT this can never be called stalking you are loosing out on the whole nature of the game.(this is not a dig) You are however putting more venison in the larder if all goes well.

If you are not having to reach a cull then surley the point is get closer and enjoy the moment.

Keep the long shots (on the whole) for foxes and carrion crows. You are missing the best the sport has to offer.(again not a personal dig at anybody just a general comment for anyone reading this and NOT knowing what we are ALL about).

good to see a thread that is not degraded by ars/////les.(yet). where a GOOD report has been made of a CLEAN kill,

where people can state a view without critesising the poster(as i have read the replies they have all been "mature". there is nothing to critesise imho).

a good thread,a good shot and hopefully some good venison for the freezer bud :thumbs:

atb

I think all stalkers aim to get as close as possible ,foxhunter included but its in us all from time to time to push yourself to see what we can do .The 100 zero seems to play on folks mind as to being the limit of the rifle but ive found myself thats only the tip of things .I shot a cwd at 320 last year from a rock steady rest and never alowed any for drop .A clean kill in the middle of the chest was the result with a witness by my side whos also a member on here .Modern stalking rifles ,scopes and ammo are capable of far more than we currantly accept.As said ,the game is called stalking and im the first to get excited by the prospect of up close and personal and i would never advocate deer as mere targets but years spent with a rifle in your hands counts for far more than target work .Comfort zone is the key wording here but sometimes that zone needs expanding .

I think all stalkers aim to get as close as possible ,foxhunter included but its in us all from time to time to push yourself to see what we can do .The 100 zero seems to play on folks mind as to being the limit of the rifle but ive found myself thats only the tip of things .I shot a cwd at 320 last year from a rock steady rest and never alowed any for drop .A clean kill in the middle of the chest was the result with a witness by my side whos also a member on here .Modern stalking rifles ,scopes and ammo are capable of far more than we currantly accept.As said ,the game is called stalking and im the first to get excited by the prospect of up close and personal and i would never advocate deer as mere targets but years spent with a rifle in your hands counts for far more than target work .Comfort zone is the key wording here but sometimes that zone needs expanding .

Well said that man :clapper:

i don't think my opinion differs greatly from yours bud. i know where my limits are( caliber,choice of ammunition,stalked/seated,type of game and standing/stop)and try to stick to them as best i can. ONLY overshooting your capabilities can be seen as irresponsible(bad shots being placed REGULARLY).

my original post was merly to point out to others(who may not know their limits) that this is by no means the norm(and by no means the extreme of a capable marksman).

its our privelidge to manage game whether our own or for someone else,we should do it in a responsible and sporting manner by whatever means we use.

yours in sport,

waidmann.