earthwork

Idealy i'd like a terrier that can hold its quarry using its voice but have the substance and inteligence to hold firm should it need to, hopefully avoiding injury and being able to work on a regular basis without a layoff due to injuries................

This bloke has hit the nail on the head in 2 lines, that is all any man should ask of there dog.

Good statement Simoman, ATB.

Luke.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

earth work is not limited to digging( bolting to gun is some mens sport and the most effective/efficiant method of controlling fox to ground).

as above i prefer a dog who will take hold if necessary but is more a bayer than a mixer,and to heave the sense to know which end has less teeth :thumbs: . i have no problem with dogs leaving the earth IF its to refind and harrass/different angle of attack(flyer), i find most foxes will bolt in a reasonable time( between 30 sec and an hour,depending on the earths size and stealth of the guns)the guns being the main factor in my experiance, coughers,telephoners,talkers,fiddlers and shifters only come once!

when a flyer is "down" the guns must be steady and not try to shoot to early.

i'm all for less vet bills and more foxes/earths in the day( this may stem from the fact that i had to deal with badger and raccoon too, which will rarely bolt and fight a fierce battle).

i'm just pointing out that a differant "style" of work has its uses( for me and i'm sure others too),if not for digging.

p.s. i enjoy a good dig too and fully respect the men and dogs who do this work in the field,they keep a fair ammount of dogs to work week in weeek out.the most terriers i have kept is 4( 2 fox terriers,2jack russels+ 1 teckel) none of which ever had to be taken to the vets(work related).

a valid point i hope.

yis

waidmann.

Idealy i'd like a terrier that can hold its quarry using its voice but have the substance and inteligence to hold firm should it need to, hopefully avoiding injury and being able to work on a regular basis without a layoff due to injuries................

This bloke has hit the nail on the head in 2 lines, that is all any man should ask of there dog.

Good statement Simoman, ATB.

Luke.

The main thing with a good bayer is you will have him for years . I lost my beddi x russel last feb at the age of thirteen the only reason i lost then is because he started to get hard.Over the years he had been in hundreds of earths around our area both sort of earths and just bay and hold.last feb my boy and mates got him to ground in a big place dug him out three days later he had killed a vixen and died his self good uns dont come around to often. ATB taker

Relating back to the comment about the quarry not being priority, then whats the point in working a dog, surely the keepers ask you on to control the fox not worry about the dog, even though it is important to keep the dog ready for another dig. If the quarry isnt important then why not run the dog through an empty earth where you know there is no danger??? I've heard terrier men refer to the dogs as tools, whereas you can go and get another if the worst is to happen but then again a top dog needs to be faced with a sticky situation and do its outright best to overcome this.

Moving on, as i mentioned i am relatively new to earthwork, can a dogs approach to working change over time or with experience and has anyone witnessed this first hand. I must admit although i know little about digging i am keen to learn on the subject. From what ive read and witnessed so far my preferred terrier would be something very vocal with a bit of staying power to back it up however not too hard that it takes a pasting every time it is worked.

Relating back to the comment about the quarry not being priority, then whats the point in working a dog, surely the keepers ask you on to control the fox not worry about the dog, even though it is important to keep the dog ready for another dig. If the quarry isnt important then why not run the dog through an empty earth where you know there is no danger??? I've heard terrier men refer to the dogs as tools, whereas you can go and get another if the worst is to happen but then again a top dog needs to be faced with a sticky situation and do its outright best to overcome this.

Moving on, as i mentioned i am relatively new to earthwork, can a dogs approach to working change over time or with experience and has anyone witnessed this first hand. I must admit although i know little about digging i am keen to learn on the subject. From what ive read and witnessed so far my preferred terrier would be something very vocal with a bit of staying power to back it up however not too hard that it takes a pasting every time it is worked.

my mates dog has changed with age hes 8 years old now and hard. Almost mad he was a bay and mixer until this seson :thumbs:

Everybody has different views when it comes to working terriers, at the end of the day you've go to get to your quarry but dogs may do this in different ways, either a bayer or a stayer. I am new to terrier work and just got my first terrier, i've been taken on a few digs with an experienced lad and shown the basics. However the only dog i've seen graft does a bit of both it vocal and at the same time strong enough to hold and due to this can take a bit of poke. From your own experience which style dog would you prefer, or does it differ on type of earth i.e. ground make up, depth etc. It would be good to hear what others have to say and maybe i will learn from this, pics welcome. Cheers Rye

1 THING YOUR'E WELL WRONG ABOUT IS GETTING YOUR QUARRY, No1 PRIORITY IS GETTING THE DOG,SAFETY OF THE TYKE COMES BEFORE ANYTHING ELSE. THE QUARRY COMES 2ND. JMO.

Dont dig much then mate .

Everybody has different views when it comes to working terriers, at the end of the day you've go to get to your quarry but dogs may do this in different ways, either a bayer or a stayer. I am new to terrier work and just got my first terrier, i've been taken on a few digs with an experienced lad and shown the basics. However the only dog i've seen graft does a bit of both it vocal and at the same time strong enough to hold and due to this can take a bit of poke. From your own experience which style dog would you prefer, or does it differ on type of earth i.e. ground make up, depth etc. It would be good to hear what others have to say and maybe i will learn from this, pics welcome. Cheers Rye

1 THING YOUR'E WELL WRONG ABOUT IS GETTING YOUR QUARRY, No1 PRIORITY IS GETTING THE DOG,SAFETY OF THE TYKE COMES BEFORE ANYTHING ELSE. THE QUARRY COMES 2ND. JMO.

Dont dig much then mate .

like a said am new to it mate unlike you whos pro at the game

Guest AngelicAcid

i dont think that foxdropper was reffereing to you mate, more to Hepher.

You asked a fair question, which stlye do the terrier lads prefer?

Simoman ahs got it down to a tee mate.

Chances of finding a dog of this callibre are once in a lifetime if you are lucky.

I aint as of yet.

Chances of finding a dog of this callibre are once in a lifetime if you are lucky.

I aint as of yet.

Does anybody yet know why this is then or is it just down to pure luck of the draw? By this i mean does the breed of the dog have influence, age its dug to, hardness of the dog or is it just down to luck and how the dog takes to a preferred style of work? I'm guessing by mating two perfect earthdogs there is zero guarantee another specimen of this dog will be produced from the litter? Hence why some lads have good dogs and others have average dogs, or is the owner of the dog at blame for a poordog??? It would be interesting to get others views on this as i am interested in learning

I aint as of yet.

Does anybody yet know why this is then or is it just down to pure luck of the draw? By this i mean does the breed of the dog have influence, age its dug to, hardness of the dog or is it just down to luck and how the dog takes to a preferred style of work? I'm guessing by mating two perfect earthdogs there is zero guarantee another specimen of this dog will be produced from the litter? Hence why some lads have good dogs and others have average dogs, or is the owner of the dog at blame for a poordog??? It would be interesting to get others views on this as i am interested in learning

bayer and a mixer any day with a quiet one you dont no whats going on down there if a little far away

I aint as of yet.

i think many kennels have underated dogs in them due to the dogs not getting the work they need to show there potential so get sold on/on. the top name lines were out working there dogs on numerious hunts and in there spare time aswell, testing there dogs, and only breeding from best i myself am guilty of the above due to this riduclous law we have in place hope this makes sense..

horses for courses rye :boxing:

Edited by rock

so you go out put your dog to ground and dig. if you get a fox its a bonus lol we all want our dogs back but come on lad