going to the usa

HELLO ALL I WAS WONDERING IF ANY ONE CAN HELP ME'I AM GOING TO THE USA FOR 6 WEEKS IN SUMMER AND I WANT TO TAKE MY RIFLES WITH ME 17HMR AND A 243W I RANG THE HUMBERSIDE FIREARMS DEPARTMENT UP TO ASK THEM [bANNED TEXT] WOULD I HAVE TO DO. HIS REPLY WAS I DON'T KNOW IF IT WAS EUROPE ITS EASY HE THEN SAID IF YOU RING CUSTOMS AND EXCISE UP THEY WILL HELP YOU I ASKED IF HE HAD THE TEL NO' HIS REPLY NO LOOK IT UP ON THE NET SO I DID' GOT A TEL NO RANG IT PUT ME THROUGH TO A FEW DIFFERENT PEOPLE THAT JUST KEPT PASSING ME ALONG I PUT THE PHONE DOWN AFTER HALF HOUR OF TRYING.

SO I WENT ON THE AIRLINE SITE TO SEE IF COULD FIND ANYTHING OUT FROM THEM AND IT SAYS JUST BRING THEM WITH YOU YOU CAN HAVE UP TO 4 RIFLES IN ONE LOCKABLE CONTAINER' AND YOU JUST TELL THE REPRESENTATIVE AT CHECK-IN. IN THIS DAY AND AGE THAT WE ARE IN WITH THE HIGHT-END TERRORIST TREAT AND KNOWING HOW PARANOID THE HOMELAND SECURITY IS'

I DID NOT FANCY DOING THIS AT ALL.

I WAS ALSO WONDERING IF YOU CAN TAKE YOUR SOUND MOD'S WITH YOU AS THEY ARE NOT ALOUD THEM IN THE STATES AS YOU ALL KNOW'BUT BECAUSE THEY ARE ON MY TICKET ARE WE ALOUD TO TAKE THEM IN OR SHOULD I JUST LEAVE THEM AT HOME AND SAVE A LOT OF TROUBLE.

IS THERE ANY ONE THAT CAN HELP ME WITH THIS THAT HAS DONE IT AND KNOWS THE SCORE I AM FLYING WITH DELTA AIRLINES

THANKS GANG ? :cry:

THERE'S NO NEED TO SHOUT!!!

seriously though, I don't know, they'll be going in the hold, so if you put them in a padded slip and then in an airline gun case then they'll be fine, but don't put fragile on the outside as they're just bound to throw it harder to see if they hear anything break... get there in good time i'd suggest and see what happens, print off the instructions on the web to take with you, or contact other outfitters who may have had british clients and see what their experience has been

as for the sound mods... do not under any circumstances take them!! in some states they can be possessed but there would be probably checks like those for automatic weapons! there was an article in a shooting mag a while ago where the author tried to take a SAK mod to the states as a gift and spent most of his time in a jail cell! whether they thought he was an arms dealer, or terrorist i don't know... but don't take it you'll be in for a shit storm if you do :( :(

I don't know if this helps any!

DB :thumbs:

You can take your guns with you provided the airline is prepared to accept them in hold baggage. Don't even think about taking ammo with you cos you can't. Frankly, why do you want take them for 6 weeks anyway? Can't you borrow guns whan you get there? It ain't as though you were using an unusual calibre. Whatever, have fun and bring back some stories about VARMINTS.

Ric

thanks db sorry for the shouting lol i saw the article on sound mods and jail time to think they will stay at home

ric w you can take ammo with you up to 5 kg it says so on the delta airlines site the reason i want to take my rifles with me is i have bought a house in kentucky with land my cuzz has a 222 and does a lot of bow hunting i would not like borrowing somones rifle for that long as i would not want to lend mine out at all hence i want to take my own. I thought about buying one there and leaving it locked up there but wots the point when you can take them with you . the land has lots of coons on it and coyotes to, and you can shoot them all year round.

They have very strict game laws out there they even have a season for squirell and cottontail rabbits which are like ours i am looking forward to the coyote and coon calling tho i did a bit last summer but i was only there for a week managed to call a coyote in with my ultimate fox call and wam call' but i think he was full cos he just stayed out around 400yrds and the scope on the 222 wasnt much cop for that range .

Edited by viper

Check with Customs & Excise. Their ruling is that no expanding ammunition may be taken outside the UK borders. I suspect that Delta are quoting their own rules. I'm not trying to put you down bro, just would hate for you to have your trip screwed at the last minute. You will have to be met at the airfield by a Customs agent.

Best of luck with the 'yotes. Favourite tool for 'em in the States is .17 Rem

YIS

Ric

i would nt get too hung up on the ammo, you will be able to buy it cheaper there than in the uk. i would ask the question though about bringing it back with you as i may be more economical to bring your FAC quantity home with you. The other question is can you buy ammo there without a US FAC or equivalent.

keith

You must go with an approved airline that accepts firearms as luggage. Inform the authorities state side. NO ammo permitted. Not USA. Better to borrow there, & buy ammo there. Rifle bolts must be seperate. Europe is a doodle, with the license, but the Yanks are paranoid.

Do not risk the cells !! :laugh:

Edited by clint

Thanks guys all taken on board i wasnt going to take any ammo as when i was there in the summer i checked out the prices .243w winchester supreme 55 grainers $17.95 and a box of 17 hmr were $8.75 i took pictures if i could post the bloodythings i would show you .22 lr's were around $5.00 we get so ripped off it stinks. I asked about buying ammo and you just have to be 18 years old and have an adress wich i have there so no problem on that score . I will try custom and excise again but i got passed from pillar to post for half an hour a got fed up with hearing my own voice repeating its self. thanks again is there any body out there thats took there rifles with them and [bANNED TEXT] should i expect

You've got lots of good advice from the previous posts.

I would like to reinforce what someone else posted: Leave your moderators at home!

You need special permits from the Federal government to have one in your possession.

I don't know of any states that allow them for hunting game animals. Some do for non-game but it varies greatly.

Those things can even get a US resident in a world of trouble!

Ammo is cheap and easily obtained here compared to the UK.

Every state has different rules and seasons. Get to know them for the state where you will be hunting (Kentucky?). Make sure you get the proper license (probably non-resident). It might be a good idea to contact the state fish and game department before you leave home for their recommendations.

Above all...have a great time, stay safe and post pics.

Cheers,

Mark

Thank you mark i will be getting a non resident annual hunting permit' i know you can hunt yotes all year round in ky my cousins best friend is the sgt fish and game warden for the area bob snow great guy and boy he nows alot he hunts as well and fishes. the mods will be staying in england along with the ammo. do you do much coyote calling if so what mouth call do you recommend' and have you any hints and tips for me

cheers pal 8)

Edited by viper

I can't remember the address but the people you need to contact are a bunch of guys called "Coyote Callers". They love .17 Rem because it kills quick and clean but does not exit, so no pelt damage. They like to call 'yotes in to 50 yards. Have a look round on the net for them.

Thank you mark i will be getting a non resident annual hunting permit' i know you can hunt yotes all year round in ky my cousins best friend is the sgt fish and game warden for the area bob snow great guy and boy he nows alot he hunts as well and fishes. the mods will be staying in england along with the ammo. do you do much coyote calling if so what mouth call do you recommend' and have you any hints and tips for me

cheers pal 8)

Sounds like you've got some good contacts.

I don't do any calling. The only coyotes I've shot, just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.

I look at the Predator Masters site every now and then.

Hunting.net is good and has regional forums.

Cheers,

Mark