advise needed

i have a collie/greyhound 7 months old he is working well but he is a bit warey when close up to the rabbit and they get away .is there any thing i could do to make him keener ............. :victory:

Whenever he DOES catch one give LOTS of praise. Turn the actual chasing and catching of rabbits into a game for him, even throw dead ones for him to chase after. Feed him a few rabbits (freeze them 1st for 3 weeks to kill off tapeworm eggs). Also try to shoot a few rabbits and then walk him round the field and let him "find" them, then give him lots of praise again.

You could try a fur around a dummy mate to learn him to pick up, it may take some time but when he/she dose it boost its confidence by alot of praise. Progress on this and then try him again.

I wouldnt keep on running him as it will take you longer to teach him to pick up. ATB

Luke.

the dogs only 7 month old mate it will all start falling into place soon my last dog was a collie cross and he didnt even want know till he was 12 month old it was like a light switch being turned on and all he wanted to do was hunt saying that i didnt do alot with him early on because i didnt want to bring him on to soon and burn him out no good trying force the issue in my eyes let the dog mature on its own terms the only other thing i do reguler is if my dogs are getting some hammer ill leave them off for a week that firesthem up aswell. anyway all the best with it mate hope the dog comes good for you

i have a collie/greyhound 7 months old he is working well but he is a bit warey when close up to the rabbit and they get away .is there any thing i could do to make him keener ............. victory.gif

keep him at home where he belongs at that age.

take him out with an expirienced dog and let him watch only ,and let him have a run at end of night .at 7 months old my bitch wouldnt even run a rabbit (she realy low in confedence)after a bit and a lot of patience she run her first one ,the next step was if she seen a hare on lamp she would nt leave my side just watch it .i got her over that by just leaving her to she was ready in herslf .i got her for a fox dog to help out the terriers and knew i had a long way to go with her .when she was about 15 mths i started to give her a lot more work as she was takin bunnys with ease and she will even run with the hounds when out .she dosnt leave my side untill the hounds start booing and then she,s off thinking she,s head hound and as joined in on a few kills now .she,s now 17 months old and flying mate i cant give her enough work she just wants more and more .but still being young she gets what i think is the right amount for her and try not to over do it. she will not do a red single handed yet but will do doubled up .when she,s old enough and ready i have no doubt that she will go all the way its just getting your timing right .thing is mate dont push them to hard at a young age youve got all the time in the world with your dog to get him to come good .

when i first got my bitch she was proberbly the most nervous dog ive seen ,if she saw a sheep she would be off back to the van ,same with cattle and horses .she wouldnt even get out of the van at a show .a lot of lads laughed at her and took the piss as she was a proper (shit) bag and told me to get rid .

like i said she is now 17 mths and going out with dogs older than her and holding her own she has turned out a good little machine for me and is nice and steady but will run her heart out when you ask her to ,she retieves very good ,jumps well and will come straight back when lamp is turned off .infact a couple of lads who were laughing at her in her younger days are now telling me that i might have something special if she carries on the way she,s going .oh and she,s marked me 9 reds to ground this year so i cant praise her enough .i ve still got a long way to go with her yet but like i said earlier she,s got all the time she needs to get to the top of her carreer. just keep taking them out and let them watch and join in when possible youve got a lot of time befor your dog will be doing what you want of him so dont give up and dont push him to hard and the rest will fall in place .......good luck with your dog...DF

Edited by dog fox

i have a collie/greyhound 7 months old he is working well but he is a bit warey when close up to the rabbit and they get away .is there any thing i could do to make him keener ............. victory.gif

keep him at home where he belongs at that age.

Dam right he's still a youngster yet ..

the best thing to bring a pup on is and experienced dog they sharp learn watching other dogs my pup he is seven months now and hes keen as f**k coz ive been taking him out watching and let him ragg a couple of dead rabbits wat the other dogs caught but he hasent had a live rabbit yet untill hes about 8 half month atb

the best thing to bring a pup on is and experienced dog they sharp learn watching other dogs my pup he is seven months now and hes keen as f**k coz ive been taking him out watching and let him ragg a couple of dead rabbits wat the other dogs caught but he hasent had a live rabbit yet untill hes about 8 half month atb

thats roughly the way i brought my bitch on at that young age ,they learn more off watching at that age ,dont run them young as they have a lot of growing to do and you can do a lot more damage running them than you think