Our first ferreting session...

Hi everybody.

I have been mouching on the forums for a little while now, enjoying learning and reading about the sports.

My son and I recently decided to give ferreting a go and we were lucky enough to get some kits from a friend's mate - working farm ferrets.

DSCF8135.jpg

I've been out and bought a long net and 20 purse nets, cut some hazel for poles and pegs and gotten a couple of small permissions - and this morning we went out in what was our first outing.

I'm sure you can understand our excitment and also that we are still in the very early stages of becoming proficient at this sport.

The warren we visited had LOTS of burrows and we had forgotten half of our nets with our excitment to go out, but we bagged our first FOUR bunnies :thumbs:

The farmer had one, my sons mate took one on and we brough two back home for ourselves.

My son did really well with paunching and skinning and the rabbits are sat in some salted water before being boiled tomorrow...yum-yum...can't wait to try it :yes:

Here is a pic of the three we had, less the one the farmer had for his dinner.

DSCF8137.jpg

Thanks to all the posts and information that I have read from this excellent forum...without it, I'm sure we would of never got involved and missed out on the experience...So, thanks to all of you! :clapper:

Note to self: Must get a sharper knife!

ATB,

Paul

a good read and nice pics too, it's great to see a couple more advocates for the sport, i look forward to hearing of your future escapades :gunsmilie:

I find a retractable cheapie stanley/box cutter type knife does the job lovely. and me with my heavy handedness, it matters not if you break or lose it, as it's only a quid or so from town :thumbs:

ATB

LD13

Thanks for all your words of encouragement - The lads wanted to carry on yesterday but the ferts looked a little tired so we called it a day. The hob seemed to work the warren better than the jill but t'was their first time and can only get better I guess.

How long do you guys work ferrets for in hours on a trip?

Do you swap them out from time to time or do yours go at em all day?

ATB

Paul