Just my luck!!

Nah i still dont wanna use a locator there way to expensive, and like a fella said on here they will come out eventually. The burrow was only a 2 holer and there wasnt any other rabbits in there or they would of bolted [bANNED TEXT] i left them that day. Whats wrong with blocking the ferret in over night? Its only 6 hours or so? i wasnt going to forget about them. And they were perfectly fine the next morning. Its better than loosing to perfectly good workers.

FM

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Its never a good idea to ferret a rabbit thats just slipped the nets an gone down another hole - they are very very unlikely to bolt as they know whats above ground an will usually take their chances

i been fetteting for years never had a locator ever they always come out after np longer than 30 min but on reading some of the things on here going to get one this week

Definatley the way forward.   Soon pay for itself.   dug down many a time and retrieved the ferret with the added bonus of more than one rabbit jammed up a stop end.saves loads of time to which a

Definatley the way forward.

Soon pay for itself.

dug down many a time and retrieved the ferret with the added bonus of more than one rabbit jammed up a stop end.saves loads of time to which also = more time catching rather than waiting.sound investment. :thumbs:

• Like 1

Nah i still dont wanna use a locator there way to expensive, and like a fella said on here they will come out eventually. The burrow was only a 2 holer and there wasnt any other rabbits in there or they would of bolted [bANNED TEXT] i left them that day. Whats wrong with blocking the ferret in over night? Its only 6 hours or so? i wasnt going to forget about them. And they were perfectly fine the next morning. Its better than loosing to perfectly good workers.

FM

Just no helping some people

:wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :whistling::icon_eek: :icon_eek: :icon_eek:

you say whats wrong with leaving them,i think you answered that one for me when you said the hole was dug out.this time you were lucky next time and there will be a next time you might not,then it will be oh deer me ive lost my £100 ferret becauase i was to greedy to buy a locater.anything can happen to a ferret underground,cave ins ,rat nests ,snakes,ect,ect,not just killing a rabbit.just think about this next time you take a chance. :thumbdown:

Might of only seemed a two holer to you but what if there was a drain connected to the burrow or it joined onto a bigger set 50 metres away id never work a ferret with out a locater the amount of time it saves and rabbits it puts in the bag pays for itself in the course of a year or less depending on how much ferreting you do

OK im listening to u all, i wont put a muzzel on and still im not getting a locator!! Wether u think im greedy or not, thats just a stupid statement may i add cos what did people do in the days before a locator...people seem to forget a ferret is bread for this kinda stuff and if let go into wild it will still continue to go down burrown and catch rabbits themselves. Where would a ferret sleep in the wild? More oftern than not down a burrow...? best place for them in the wilsd away from predators....haha snakes in the middle of winter in scotland...deary me man!!

Right am away, i know what im doing as far as ferreting is concerned, you lot have gotta realise people work differently to others in the world!

FM

I agree with you up to a point - i ferreted for years without using a locater and my dad never had one his whole life (not around) and never lost a ferret underground. We were probably lucky, but when a ferret didnt come up we just sat and waited.

HOWEVER - they are available now and yer 90% of the time its not needed - everything goes on as normal, but it does mean that i can rest safe in the knowledge that if sopmething DOES happen - i can dg them out.

One question tho - anyone noticed a difference in how the ferrets work, with and without collars?

atb

Jai.

I agree with you up to a point - i ferreted for years without using a locater and my dad never had one his whole life (not around) and never lost a ferret underground. We were probably lucky, but when a ferret didnt come up we just sat and waited.

HOWEVER - they are available now and yer 90% of the time its not needed - everything goes on as normal, but it does mean that i can rest safe in the knowledge that if sopmething DOES happen - i can dg them out.

One question tho - anyone noticed a difference in how the ferrets work, with and without collars?

atb

Jai.

i agree with u pal. But im no one to want a locator, takes the fun out the game i think. Ferreting is a waiting game. More oftern than not my ferrets come out they work the holes pretty well and they give you a sure sign nobody is home under ground cos they pop back up right away! Before i think about buyin a collar i would like to see one in use to see the difference.

Have you noticed any differnce with the way they work While wearin a collar?

FM ;)

The difference before was that ferrets weren't understood and just fed bread and milk. Things move on, not always for the best but sometimes an improvement. Good thing about the collars is that it gives you a picture of what is happening underground.

iv just got locater and collers iv bin out 5 or so times and each time iv had a dig to fined a ferret and got a rabbit as well so that 5 rabbits i wood of never got without locater my ferrets work just the same with coller as without only you no where the ferret is all the time or if it keeps going to the same spot 1 small jill sat in same place for a bit and was going a foot away and back did this 3 or 4 times only 3 ft down i dug to fined the small jill sat in frunt of a live rabb i fined the locater a very good tool

Its never a good idea to ferret a rabbit thats just slipped the nets an gone down another hole - they are very very unlikely to bolt as they know whats above ground an will usually take their chances with the ferret.

Very Very good advice, 99% of the time this will happen so if you dont want to dig i wouldnt advise it

Yer thats what i found. I dont get lay ups, but sometimes the wee jill comes across one she cant shift and hangs about giving it a bit of stick and yer then i can dig it out. But in general i dont get the locator out unless the ferret has been down a stupidly long time as i prefer to crouch quietly and not be moving about so im sure i miss plenty i could have dug to.

But then again i dont like to dig unless absolutely necessary so maybe its better to resist the temptation and not look. For me the finder is a tool to use when they just dont come back up, say after 15-20 mins i pop it out and have a quick look, if they still moving about i leave them to it. But one day one of the ferrets will get stuck, trapped or get a kicking underground and i will be able to dig to it and go home with the ferret, and that is definatly worth 150 quid.

I think a lot of people dig too quickly and unless your doing pest control you dont need to get EVERY rabbit down there.

I'm not sure if it effects the way they work, for very small jills it can be a wee bit heavy but they get used to it!

atb

jai.

p.s - just went out and did 7 sets in the woods next to my house and didnt use the collar.

iv just got locater and collers iv bin out 5 or so times and each time iv had a dig to fined a ferret and got a rabbit as well so that 5 rabbits i wood of never got without locater my ferrets work just the same with coller as without only you no where the ferret is all the time or if it keeps going to the same spot 1 small jill sat in same place for a bit and was going a foot away and back did this 3 or 4 times only 3 ft down i dug to fined the small jill sat in frunt of a live rabb i fined the locater a very good tool

This happened to us last week with the two jills after the rabbit went down another hole when the dog missed it, remember :doh: If it had been your hob we wouldnt have been able to get it back

OK im listening to u all, i wont put a muzzel on and still im not getting a locator!! Wether u think im greedy or not, thats just a stupid statement may i add cos what did people do in the days before a locator...people seem to forget a ferret is bread for this kinda stuff and if let go into wild it will still continue to go down burrown and catch rabbits themselves. Where would a ferret sleep in the wild? More oftern than not down a burrow...? best place for them in the wilsd away from predators....haha snakes in the middle of winter in scotland...deary me man!!

Right am away, i know what im doing as far as ferreting is concerned, you lot have gotta realise people work differently to others in the world!

FM

snakes was just a one example and you do get them all over the place,as for letting ferrets go in the wild thats a big NO NO,99% would die in a short space of time unless there were lots of rabbits.as for locaters they were not about years ago,so as has already been said times have changed mostly for the better ,a lot more ferrets go home after a dayout and more rabbits in the bag SIMPLES