.243 scope

alright chaps,need your thoughts on a new scope for my .243,was looking at s&b 8x 56 but after going to gunshop to buy one,found that it was just too big heavy so scrapped that idea,leupold european 30 4-12x40 cought my eye :icon_redface: any thoughts as want to use for lamping foxes aswell as deer cheers :gunsmilie:

there's a lot of questions on here like yours, Leuopld make some good optics and at some pretty reasonable prices, I haven't ever looked through one, but from reviews, theire edge to edge clarity isn't quite as good neither is their sharpness or ligh transmission compared to european glass- you could try the 7x50- slightly smaller or for £939 from Uttings you could have yourself an S&B 3-12x50 or 3-12x44, or a swaroPV3-12x50 for slightly less, but am I right in thinking you don't wanot to spend that much? well you could do a lot worse than a fixed 7x50 from S&B- (zeiss make one as well)- as you can tell I like european glass... but with the better quality will come the increased weight... the Leupold you mention should be fine, but at £430, don't expect it to be as good as the S&B- my S&B 6x44 was £440 which is what i have in my HMR, and that is just superb- you can see better with it than without in the last minutes of the day... buuut as with everything, how much do you want that tip itop quality, and are you prepared to pay for it?- in the same sort of price range, but about £200 more is the Docter Optic Classic 2.5-10x48 which you might want to have a look at...

Hope you find what you are looking for!

DB

keep it simple get an s&b 6x42 its all you will ever need unless you like to shoot rabbits at 700 yards

cheers chaps all advice taken on board :gunsmilie:

I'd have a look at a Docter 3-12x56, with an illuminated reticle. I use this scope for foxes, and it so much easier with the x hair or dot illuminated at night. Like the other poster says, Leupold are ok, but they simply don't have the same quality of glass as the German optic scopes. The reason I got a variable, is, that sometimes I'm shooting at foxes 170yds plus, and at that range, unless you have a decent magnification, the targets too small. Likewise, when in closer - on full mag its just too much !

You should be able to get an the illuminated scope for around 750-850 quid - Docter scopes are made in the Jena Zeiss factory, and in my opinion, for the money, you cant get better.

keep it simple get an s&b 6x42 its all you will ever need unless you like to shoot rabbits at 700 yards

Well said that man....

if you want a scope for Foxing and Deer you wont get better than a fixed 6x42 German S & B used this type of scope for the last 35 years i have one that was made by S & B for hubertus 35 years young and its as good today as when i bought it new.

Edited by hiluxmk3