Ferrets+air rifle

I picked up 3 new gills on tuesday from metlon mowbray and today took them out for the first time to see how they are. 2/3 seem pretty tame but one had to stay at home it was too nippy for now. I took my new air rifle out for the first time too (falcon lighthunter 8W) and about 15 nets.

I set off at first light and the first opportunity came along for the rifle down the footpath and i got a cracking headshot on a pigeon 25yards away. I was happy but i was searched for that pigeon for 10 mins and it was nowhere. I jumped back on the path and my adrenaline kicked in straight away, what looked like the farmer and a black lab. The lab started snarling and growling so i walked at it to see if it would back down and it f*****g didn't it lunged and nearly got my arm. I just stood there and the farmer chap just picked up a rock i didn't know what was going on. Anyway he just kept walking the weirdo so i picked up my rifle and bag and left.

Anyway i arrived at the spot i was going to test the ferrets at. I was at a field next to the A1 next to a small wood. This place is crawling with rats and i killed 1 rat that was feeding straight off, there is a big dump of stuff from a farm including lots of apples and dead pigeons which the rats all feed on. A water trough and the mound of seed and such which they all burrow in nicely. I was going to try a 10M stretch of hedgerow next to the mound with the remaind of an old fence surrounded by holes. I got the ferrets out and they went to ground straight away which is always a good start :laugh:. I had the rifle ready because i know from working this warren before that the rats tend to climb the fence and hedge which gives me time for shot. Well i wasn't disappointed the first rat went straight up the fence and into the hedge but i was ready and i hit it in the chest, but the bugger managed to fall out the hedge and make its way to the next warren. Oh well plenty more to go and i got my next opportunity a few rats later, a big f****r this time and it sat looking at me ontop of the water trough. I aimed quickly at its head and it was dead before it flopped onto the floor. It went like this for about the next 15 mins and i was thorughly enjoying myself. It was very exciting waiting for a rat to bolt and waiting for a shot, following them through the scope and waiting for them to pause for a moment. The scope i was using goes down to 1.5X so it was perfect for this job.

Before anyone says it, i know this isn't a good way of ratting but it was bloody exciting. I was only there to test my new ferrets and i never expected to have so much fun. If i had a terrier we would of gotten 25-30 from that warren alone but since i don't i got 7 which i am happy with for 20 mins sport.

Anyway i am very happy with my ferrets first outing, they both fought rats and excitedly looked for more. Infact i saw something i have never seen before today. I heard the unmistakable sound of a fight and looked around for something to bolt and they were fighting ABOVE ground. I have never known a rat to leave its warren then turn round to fight back against the ferret. It was a vicious little b*****d, it looks as bad as it sounds. I quickly shot it when the ferret was out of harms way and it jumped about 2' vertical before running off.

I am off again later to get some rabbits and shoot some pigeons at a farm but i would call the day a success already.

Cheers

the farm wasn't as productive as usual, no pigeons or anything about on the barns so i decided to mooch around the fields which has never been more than exercise in the past. But as i was sneaking down one hedgerow a leveret stepped out about 30 yards in front of me so i froze. It looked around suspiciously and didn't seem to know i was there at all which was odd since the wind wasn't entirely on my side. Anyway i decided i could risk getting a bit closer so i got to about 22yards and took aim. I hit it just a bit lower than i wanted under its ear but it knocked it over cleanly. I left it on the ground and continued into a wood for an hour or so but that was a waste of time.

Anyway not a bad day, the total is 7 rats, 1 pigeon and a leveret. I couldn't do any more ferreting because of bloody badgers :rolleyes:. If i even go near the set some anti do-gooder runs out calling the police, land owner and anyone else she can think of and its not worth the bother. I wouldn't ferret the actual set but you know how ignorant antis are.

Hopefully this photo will work, theres a lot of blood because i just gutted it.

http://img136.imageshack.us/img136/4905/cimg1952ut7.jpg

Edited by Ratreeper