Got the all clear from the missus

I've made a couple of posts asking some questions and done a fair bit of research. Badgered the missus left right and center and she's finally ok'd getting a dog. We have decided we'll probably go for a Labrador although there are a couple of other types I fancy (springer still isn't off the list).

Now as I've never ever had a dog I'm quit nervous about getting the basics right. My main concern is whether a pup is best or should i try to get a slightly older dog. With a pup It's going to be a fair while before I can take it out for walks which I am really looking forward to, but then I supose bonding with a pup is easier? Is it common to try and get a dog that is say 9 months old? While the dog will be getting walked in the morning and evening (when it's old enough) it will need to be left alone in the day when I am away at work (half the year). Can you leave a very young pup alone or would it be better to have a slightly older dog 6-9 months?

Sorry for the daft questions.

For a 37 year old I'm well excited ha ha!

Cheers

pmsl the missus has finally allowed you to get a pup! get some balls mate

I've made a couple of posts asking some questions and done a fair bit of research. Badgered the missus left right and center and she's finally ok'd getting a dog. We have decided we'll probably go for a Labrador although there are a couple of other types I fancy (springer still isn't off the list).

Now as I've never ever had a dog I'm quit nervous about getting the basics right. My main concern is whether a pup is best or should i try to get a slightly older dog. With a pup It's going to be a fair while before I can take it out for walks which I am really looking forward to, but then I supose bonding with a pup is easier? Is it common to try and get a dog that is say 9 months old? While the dog will be getting walked in the morning and evening (when it's old enough) it will need to be left alone in the day when I am away at work (half the year). Can you leave a very young pup alone or would it be better to have a slightly older dog 6-9 months?

Sorry for the daft questions.

For a 37 year old I'm well excited ha ha!

Cheers

pmsl the missus has finally allowed you to get a pup! get some balls mate

I work overseas for 50% of the year so she does have to agree to look after it when I am not there, she is a full time teacher and has our two kids to look after so its a fair bit extra for her. I dont ask permission to do anything if I want something I shall do it, but if she wasn't on board or I forced her into it she might just let it turn in to a lardy waste of space which is not what I want it for.

You could have read my previous posts of course...or you might be joking ;)