Blueprinting- does it make a difference?

Well as per the title really!, i gather blueprinting is the truing up of all surfaces, bolt guide rails, lapping the locking lugs, magazine feed lips or whatever to make the rifle more accurate on "stock" actions like the rem 700. well does it make a significant difference? i can see how it might but surely anything that is amiss and would be sorted by blueprinting would be picked up in QC at the factory?

Cheers

DB

Well as per the title really!, i gather blueprinting is the truing up of all surfaces, bolt guide rails, lapping the locking lugs, magazine feed lips or whatever to make the rifle more accurate on "stock" actions like the rem 700. well does it make a significant difference? i can see how it might but surely anything that is amiss and would be sorted by blueprinting would be picked up in QC at the factory?

Cheers

DB

Nothing to do with QC it is mear improvments to the rifle as in remmy 700 they can be done with loads of improvments & blueprints varie. As you stated with truing up the action from re-threading it new bolt-body & face when rebarreling. Bolt-bodys can be bought fluted etc as an add on its a whole can of worms for work that can be done & the list endless with the bolt alone.

Cheers

DB

during the manufacturing process tolerances are compromised to makethe gun affordable.blueprinting the action brings it back into line with the original intension of the original blueprint.for everyday purposes's an off the shelf rifle is more than accurate,but to the precision shooters out there its uniform constant & perfect or it's just wrong.

Cheers, would a blueprinted action cost much more than a factory one? and is it possible to blueprint an action with the barrel on it, as well as re-crowning, or would the barrel and action need to be separated?, so for competition shooters, there is a benefit, but what kind of improvement are we talking about here? from 1moa to 1/2 moa? or not that much?

Cheers

DB

Lets not get carried away here. Quality control at manufacture could, and is part of this but many other "tweeks" can be made depending how "bad" the gun is too start with.

It has to be admitted that any reputable company will be able to improve your factory gun whatever, but you have to look at the starting position and what you intend to do with the gun..if you are already grouping at 1" out to 200 yards or even 100 yards, what benefit will it be to "many" to bring this down to 1/2inch.

Lots can be done to a Rem 700 but I have no need for the tiny extra benefit for cost result! Mine is good enough for me out of the box with just a barrel chop!! :thumbs:

i would go with what deker said. inless your having a custom barrel fitted there would be no benfit to blueprinting a action. if the barrel is being changed for a aftermarket one then yes when the barrel is off it mite be worth doing.

the cost to improve the tolerances during manufacture generally is about 8% of the manufacturing cost, that means taking it from a rough bit of work to perfection, it doesn't matter what the materials are, that is the machining costs for whatever the part is, Personally i have had custom rifles, blue printed rifles and ones I have just put together out of bits, and I haven't found a great deal of difference in any of them,especially when i have a remy 700 VSL 243 win that will shoot under an inch at 600 yards, that's an out of the box with a replacement jewel trigger, the biggest things to consider for accuracy is a good quality barrel, free floating the barrel, proper action bedding, trigger pull, and the correct length of stock, after that ammunition, if the gun wont shoot right after that, then you can only blame the Nut behind the butt.

Now to dispel a few old fairy tales, you will see all sorts of gun makers or gunsmiths giving out information on tolerances they work to, its mostly just BULL SxxT, these guys are supposed to be doing work that only 2 or 3 places in the Uk can manage,and boy will you pay for it too, they are places like us, or BAE, BAE and the MOD come to us for some aircraft parts, because they cant make them, in fact there are 3 companies in the Uk capable of working to the tolerances that you see in many adverts,

If someone has a £250,000 CNC lathe that will work to 2 or 3 microns, then yeah, these tolerances are possible, if they are using an old manual lathe, then no, its fairy tales.

I suggest you take a look at what many adverts say, then make your own mind up,

Just to put the record straight, Please note, I didn't say I can shoot my 243 to under an inch at 600 yards, I leave that with great envy to a lad in my local gun club, he out shoots everyone, must be getting too old for this game.

Al

dont mean to be funny mate but i would like to see that. the world record for a 5 shot group is just under a inch at 600 yards. and this is with a custom 6.5-284 which as you no is a bench rest rifle.

Edited by jamie g

Just to put the record straight, Please note, I didn't say I can shoot my 243 to under an inch at 600 yards, I leave that with great envy to a lad in my local gun club, he out shoots everyone, must be getting too old for this game.

Al

dont mean to be funny mate but i would like to see that. the world record for a 5 shot group is just under a inch at 600 yards. and this is with a custom 6.5-284 which as you no is a bench rest rifle.

The record is just over an inch at 1000 yards. That's 10 rounds not 3 or 5. and i seem to remember it was a light bench rest fired from a prone position with a rest and bag, and i will add, don't go thinking a 6.5-284 is the be all and end all of calibers, you don't need a barrel burner to get accuracy, or for that matter good performance. a bog standard 6.5-08 A square better known as a 260 remington can and will give you a 3000fps using the right bullets and the right barrel.

My 243 wont come anywhere near that at 1000, it will group 10 shots in about 8 inches at that range. and is as good as my 260 at 600, tha barrel has had about 3600 rounds through it so I am expecting it to go south at any moment.

My 260 will group on or under the inch at 600 Meters, depending on who is using it.

Bellow is a 10 shot I did at 600 METERS in 25 to 30 mile an hour winds, and a 5 shot a friend did, the orange disks are 7.5cm across, I don't shoot for competition any more, as i don't really care, to me shooting is about competing against myself, not others, an you can make you own mind up as to what my 260 is, and yeah,you are trying to be funny, The 5 shot group is 1.263 inches vertical centre to centre, and 0.226 horizontally, the guy is in his early 20's and has done better, now lets see what you and some of the others can do, because I think this youngster should be representing the UK, though I very much doubt he would fit the NRA mold as a young target rifle shooter.

Finally both of these orange disks were witnessed by the members of 2 clubs, on the Hythe ranges on the 20th Sept 2009.

So, now whos being funny????

post-44882-12626579847_thumb.jpg

post-44882-126265801076_thumb.jpg

post-44882-126265802987_thumb.jpg

Al

The record is just over an inch at 1000 yards. That's 10 rounds not 3 or 5. and i seem to remember it was a light bench rest fired from a prone position with a rest and bag, and i will add, don't go thinking a 6.5-284 is the be all and end all of calibers, you don't need a barrel burner to get accuracy, or for that matter good performance. a bog standard 6.5-08 A square better known as a 260 remington can and will give you a 3000fps using the right bullets and the right barrel.

My 243 wont come anywhere near that at 1000, it will group 10 shots in about 8 inches at that range. and is as good as my 260 at 600, tha barrel has had about 3600 rounds through it so I am expecting it to go south at any moment.

My 260 will group on or under the inch at 600 Meters, depending on who is using it.

Bellow is a 10 shot I did at 600 METERS in 25 to 30 mile an hour winds, and a 5 shot a friend did, the orange disks are 7.5cm across, I don't shoot for competition any more, as i don't really care, to me shooting is about competing against myself, not others, an you can make you own mind up as to what my 260 is, and yeah,you are trying to be funny, The 5 shot group is 1.263 inches vertical centre to centre, and 0.226 horizontally, the guy is in his early 20's and has done better, now lets see what you and some of the others can do, because I think this youngster should be representing the UK, though I very much doubt he would fit the NRA mold as a young target rifle shooter.

Finally both of these orange disks were witnessed by the members of 2 clubs, on the Hythe ranges on the 20th Sept 2009.

So, now whos being funny????

Where did you get 7.5cm from...those Orange disks measure 21cm on my SCREEN!!! :whistling::whistling::whistling:

Well...I thought it was "Funny"...lighten up guys!!!!

Oh yes...and I can do 21cm with my Tikka T3 Lite .223 at 600 with 62g barnaul...well most of them anyway, there is always to odd round that disappears completely and usually end up somewhere in the next county!! :thumbs::thumbs:

http://www.6mmbr.com/gunweek051.html we didnt say 1000 yards we said 600 yards. there is no way a standard 243 would group under 1 inch at 600 yards. and if you or your friend done that you would be world champ.

i wasnt being funny but you got your ass in your hand because i made comment on it. which got under your skin. i guess that thread on the br site is wrong.

as for the caliber rifle i said in the other post i didnt say it was the best ? i just said it holded the record. im not saying you cant shoot but dont try and make out a standard rifle could shoot those groups at 600 yards. if it could why isnt the bench rest shooters using 243 then ?

Edited by jamie g

Cheers, would a blueprinted action cost much more than a factory one? and is it possible to blueprint an action with the barrel on it, as well as re-crowning, or would the barrel and action need to be separated?, so for competition shooters, there is a benefit, but what kind of improvement are we talking about here? from 1moa to 1/2 moa? or not that much?

Cheers

DB

I personally use stright from the box rifles.if you can afford it and it makes you feel more confident in your shooting go for it.for live quarry such as foxes/rabbits Ive never seen one get up from a well placed shot that said Ive seen people who couldn't hit a lake if they were stood in it regardless of how much they spent on the rifle.

the cost to improve the tolerances during manufacture generally is about 8% of the manufacturing cost, that means taking it from a rough bit of work to perfection, it doesn't matter what the materials are, that is the machining costs for whatever the part is, Personally i have had custom rifles, blue printed rifles and ones I have just put together out of bits, and I haven't found a great deal of difference in any of them,especially when i have a remy 700 VSL 243 win that will shoot under an inch at 600 yards, that's an out of the box with a replacement jewel trigger, the biggest things to consider for accuracy is a good quality barrel, free floating the barrel, proper action bedding, trigger pull, and the correct length of stock, after that ammunition, if the gun wont shoot right after that, then you can only blame the Nut behind the butt.

Now to dispel a few old fairy tales, you will see all sorts of gun makers or gunsmiths giving out information on tolerances they work to, its mostly just BULL SxxT, these guys are supposed to be doing work that only 2 or 3 places in the Uk can manage,and boy will you pay for it too, they are places like us, or BAE, BAE and the MOD come to us for some aircraft parts, because they cant make them, in fact there are 3 companies in the Uk capable of working to the tolerances that you see in many adverts,

If someone has a £250,000 CNC lathe that will work to 2 or 3 microns, then yeah, these tolerances are possible, if they are using an old manual lathe, then no, its fairy tales.

I suggest you take a look at what many adverts say, then make your own mind up,

Ive heard some crap but that just about tops it :clapper: