6 MNTH OLD PUP TRAVEL SICKNESS

I have a 6 mnth old whippet pup and every time i take him in the car he is travel sick,whether he be on my mrs knee in the front or in the cage with my bitch in the rear.Does anyone think he will grow out of this or know of any remedies.

awaiting your helpful replies.........?

Ok travel sickness is easy to overcome, just need a bit of time and effort.

Start feeding the pup in the car, whilst its parked and the engine is off . . .. after a couple of days do the same with the engine on. Lots of praise, lots of treats, leave the pup for short spells in the car, locked in and alone, maybe with a bone or chew.

After a week or so, get the pup really hungry and spread some tasty treats across the boot or back seat, drive for about 5 mins, and let it forage for the treats as you drive, only a mile or 2 at most, just round the block is enough.

Gradually increase the time and distance and continue with the spells locked in the car and within a week or 2 the pup should be fine.

Good luck with it. :thumbs:

all ive ever done with pups is take the pups out in the car for short trips regular ( every day from an early age ) make sure there a window down a bit so fresh airs getting in . they soon get used to it and as they do increase your journeys. exercise at the end of every journey :thumbs:

atb jackard

Guest fence_hopper

Start feeding the pup in the car, whilst its parked and the engine is off . . .. after a couple of days do the same with the engine on. Lots of praise, lots of treats, leave the pup for short spells in the car, locked in and alone, maybe with a bone or chew.

After a week or so, get the pup really hungry and spread some tasty treats across the boot or back seat, drive for about 5 mins, and let it forage for the treats as you drive, only a mile or 2 at most, just round the block is enough.

Gradually increase the time and distance and continue with the spells locked in the car and within a week or 2 the pup should be fine.

the hunting life guru :notworthy::laugh:

i had the same problem short journy once a week they soon grow out of it. alb al

Right heres a chance to see if my idea works or not, ive been told if you have a magnetic strip brought from any car shop and hang it off the back of the moter (surley youve seen them) they hang just under the car almost touching the floor?

These are supposed to stop travel sickness in dogs (somthing to do with the static) its supposed to effect the dogs teeth to the point they drool and then be sick.

For a couple of quid its gotta be worth a try.

My pups get over it after a few short trips.

Keep us posted on this one

ATB Doug

I have a 6 mnth old whippet pup and every time i take him in the car he is travel sick,whether he be on my mrs knee in the front or in the cage with my bitch in the rear.Does anyone think he will grow out of this or know of any remedies.

awaiting your helpful replies.........?

GET UR PUP IN CAR 4 SHORT INTERVALS/IT NOW ASSOCIATES CARS AS UNPLEASANT. I FOUND TAKING MINE WEE JOURNEYS 4 WALKS ETC(HAVING ANOTHER DOG CAN HELP STEADY IT) HELPED THE DOG ASSOCIATE CARS WIF FUN( AT START NEVER LET IT TRAVEL AFTER EATING 4 OBVIOUS REASONS). ALWAYS MAKE SURE U HAVE A DECENT DOG GUARD. COS IF ITS UNSECURED & FALLS ON DOGS/MAKES MATTERS 10TIMES WORSE. EVENTUALLY SHORT JOURNEY CAN BE MADE LONGER. WHEN UR DOG IS OLDER & ASSOCIATES CAR WITH GOING HUNTING,,,U MAY FIND IT HARD 2 KEEP IT OUT VAN OR CAR .SOME DOGS THOUGH INSIST IN STANDING UP THE WHOLE TIME. THATS JUST PREVENT MOTION SICKNESS & GIVES DOG ITS BEARINGS & BALANCE. IM THE SAME/ I HAVE 2 SIT IN FRONT SEAT.CANT SIT IN BACK OF VAN EITHER IF WE WENT HUNTING & TOSSED COIN 4 FRONT SEAT. GET HEADACHES & FEEL ILL. JUST TRY BE PATIENT,UR DOG WILL PICK UP ON UR BAD VIBES. Edited by Endgame
Guest Bennybhoy

:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

I had the same problem with Burt. I'm self-employed and, whenever possible, take him with me in the van usually distances between 5-15 miles. I just put up with his spewing till he sorted himself out. I think the less fuss you make about it the less the dog will get stressed when its in the car. He used to get really worried and whine alot for quite a few months, resulting in that horrible familiar smell, but he's perfect now.

Another quick hint, always check they haven't spewed on the handbrake before you park up! :sick: