New to this Forum( pics of our hounds in Ontario)

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you Lads ever want to come over you'd be welcome, lots to hunt, even in Spring we go to a 300 acre training pen that is stocked with Coyote, its great for getting pups started, so when the season starts in August the pups know what their job is, it has a couple of 20 ft viewing stands so you can see whats going on

see the pics belowpost-45474-126271425574_thumb.jpg

post-45474-126271452137_thumb.jpg

post-45474-126271437555_thumb.jpg

post-45474-126271460175_thumb.jpg

post-45474-126247386725_thumb.jpg

That is an awesome photo!

A guy from a camp in the same area as our moose camp hunts coyote hounds in the Madoc area (east of Peterborough). He uses bluetick/walker crosses. Not a formal hunt like this but the same idea.

Excellent pictures!

post-45474-126247386725_thumb.jpg

That is an awesome photo!

A guy from a camp in the same area as our moose camp hunts coyote hounds in the Madoc area (east of Peterborough). He uses bluetick/walker crosses. Not a formal hunt like this but the same idea.

Excellent pictures!

thanks BS where are you located , and what lurchers are you running?

thanks BS where are you located , and what lurchers are you running?

I'm in Newmarket.

No lurchers at the moment, just developing an interest. Seems like they would be very handy in farm country where the fields would allow them the space to run. I would imagine the bush would be too thick for them to work effectively though?

Edited by Bigshrimp

Top pictures Coyotehunter.... :thumbs: Do you have any experience using the garmin gps tracking collars?

DnN, we use the telemetry collars (wildlife materials) they last about a 10,000 hours and are good in our country for about 5 miles or so , i know a couple of lads that have used the Garmin collars and they like them and are much more accurate, but the battery life is only good for something like 12 hrs , which is fine unless you lose a hound and its out overnight, after that its not much good to you, i have thought about them for our hounds because the price has dropped and they now have receivers that take 30 collars, before the max was 10 , but the battery life thing bothers me, its very very rare i leave a hound out ( once in 4 years here! ) but if it happens then i'd like to be able to use the collar to find it or else whats the point in having them on right?

you can set the updating frequency to 10 seconds, this makes the battery last longer, 24 hours+ depending on the temperature according to the specs.

sounds like the lads you know has it set to 5 seconds, they are delivered that way.

my hound took off after some reindeer and was gone for 19 hours, collar was still transmitting the next day and we were able to pick him up :thumbs: