Like for Like cartridges the range will be near enough identical for 410 and 12g.

Out of interest, which .410 do you own?

John

Don't have one in the Cabinet at the moment, and gave away my last few 410 Cartridges to a member of this site just a few months back!

I've seen people at my local clay pigeon club shooting .410's atclays as good as anyone has been with a 12 bore, i was amazed myself when i saw it and to be honest i had a little laugh to myself before he fired the first shots. dunno what gun or cartridges he was using but it did the job, dunno how it would cope on live game though...

:hunter::gunsmilie: Spiderpigs right.But the problem with the moderated shotguns (I have owned and shot them for the last 10 years both 12 and 410) is the barrels are drilled and this damages the shot as it travels up the barrel, but if you use cartridges like winchester or fihiocci which use a full length plastic wad to combat the above problem the wads can get lodged in the baffles at the end of the barrel coursing damage to the gun.

Eley and Gamebore are poorer cartridges 20 yards max for 21/2", 22-23 yards for 3". Eley 3" sub sonics are crap you are better just using the normal Eley 3" . Also remember you do not have to have full choke in a 410 to get the max range get a copy of Because it's there! Climbing the north face of the .410 excellant read. :hunter: :headshot::

:gunsmilie: Crimped 410 cartridge will always out shoot the crappy roll over ones but the cost is ridiculous. Must admit winchester 21/2" are my favorite and have had some long range kills with them in a normal barreled 410 :hunter:

fantastic book for doubters and fanatics,have shot against the author a few times he is very very good...sling shot thats a very truthfull post glad its not just me who thinks eleys are crap lol

interesting post, one or two points i`d like to make firstly .410 has one of the highest chamber pressures like for like of any bore hense it tends to fly a bit quicker so knock down is good, but there is less lead than larger bores so use smaller shot i typicely use 7.5 for pigeon full choke fibre wad great pattern at 35yds, if you do your bit they will come down one last thing if using magnum carts the shot string is very long which means you have to be accurate with lineup but lead is not quite so important, but a really good calibre great when you get the eye in .

engineer

:gunsmilie: You need to use really hard shot to help reduce pellet deformation in 410 cartridge because of the high pressure and long shot column. Plastic wads will always give you a better pattern. The problem with full choke in small bore guns is the choke forces the shot to bounce across the barrel make in the pattern to increase in size. :gunsmilie::hunter: :headshot::

interesting post, one or two points i`d like to make firstly .410 has one of the highest chamber pressures like for like of any bore hense it tends to fly a bit quicker so knock down is good, but there is less lead than larger bores so use smaller shot i typicely use 7.5 for pigeon full choke fibre wad great pattern at 35yds, if you do your bit they will come down one last thing if using magnum carts the shot string is very long which means you have to be accurate with lineup but lead is not quite so important, but a really good calibre great when you get the eye in .

engineer