22 ratshot shells

Hi all,

ive seen these 22 rat shot shells, just wondering if anyone has used them, and whats he lethal range of them?

also are they bad for the rifling of the barrel?

THANKS

VERY close range...15 yards tops, but from memory 15 feet is more realistic, not used any for years!

Not to be recommended in your best match rifle and a good scrub afterward is best plan!

Only one guy I know who uses them a bit these days and he has a dedicated shotshell rimmy!

I understand they are popular in the States for snake shooting?? :hmm::hmm:

WARNING

DO NOT USE WITH A SOUND MODERATOR ATTACHED!

WARNING

forgive my ignorance but why not?

lee

Just like a shotgun the shot spreads as soon as it leaves the barrel, your sound moderator is likely to have a hole in it big enough to take a single .22 solid projectile.

You "may" get away with a shotshell a few times but sooner or later it will spread too much and take out/damage your sound moderator/gun/you!

Hi all,

ive seen these 22 rat shot shells, just wondering if anyone has used them, and whats he lethal range of them?

THANKS

VERY close range...15 yards tops, but from memory 15 feet is more realistic, not used any for years!

Not to be recommended in your best match rifle and a good scrub afterward is best plan!

Only one guy I know who uses them a bit these days and he has a dedicated shotshell rimmy!

I understand they are popular in the States for snake shooting?? :hmm::hmm: WARNING

Dunno about the States but in the Caribbean Islands that have snakes they use snake pistols. They are old revolvers wirh knackered rifling. Take a standard round, yank the bullet, fill the case with 8s, seal with candle wax. Blow a viper's head off at 10-15 ft. If you recall, Deker, I used to do the same with 22lr and coarse sand. An old break-barrel single shot rifle, hacksawed down to about 15". Rats in barns. Ah me, the things we get away with as kids . . .

Ric

WARNING

forgive my ignorance but why not?

lee

Just like a shotgun the shot spreads as soon as it leaves the barrel, your sound moderator is likely to have a hole in it big enough to take a single .22 solid projectile.

You "may" get away with a shotshell a few times but sooner or later it will spread too much and take out/damage your sound moderator/gun/you!

ah right cheers

Hi all,

THANKS

I understand they are popular in the States for snake shooting?? :hmm::hmm: WARNING

Dunno about the States but in the Caribbean Islands that have snakes they use snake pistols. They are old revolvers wirh knackered rifling. Take a standard round, yank the bullet, fill the case with 8s, seal with candle wax. Blow a viper's head off at 10-15 ft. If you recall, Deker, I used to do the same with 22lr and coarse sand. An old break-barrel single shot rifle, hacksawed down to about 15". Rats in barns. Ah me, the things we get away with as kids . . .

Ric

And we played conkers, climbed trees, had playgrounds made of concrete, not rubber, walked home from school, swam in the river, ice scated on 1/4 inch of frozen pond, etc, etc...all without 20 pages of risk assessment and a H&S representative on hand........ :whistling::thumbs:

Hi all,

THANKS

Ric

And we played conkers, climbed trees, had playgrounds made of concrete, not rubber, walked home from school, swam in the river, ice scated on 1/4 inch of frozen pond, etc, etc...all without 20 pages of risk assessment and a H&S representative on hand........ :whistling::thumbs:

One of my favourite memories from them days is about a culvert under the railway embankment. If we got the timing right we could launch penny bangers at one second intervals, drop 'em in the stream, and they'd go off like very loud things one at a time. Used to piss off the neighbours no end! If we got it right it sounded like a Bofors 40mm on full auto. Those were the days my friend.