just mooching for bunnies

localy its not relaxin ,between each wood we have a feild or two and its all game, before the ban it was great but now its not so good as its advertising to much to public eyes but hunted woods feilds for years and years ,best morning was 3 game animals in 30 mins great sport,there places localy you can mooch odd rabb odd whatever else good fun

Two JRT and a first cross collie greyhound. Dogs work their butts off in the day bushing but only catch the odd one or two a season!!!! Spend most of their time after squirrels. Rabbits very thin on the ground around here, things start to look rosey then the dreaded myx hits again. Oh well, keeps me and the dogs keen. Used to work two border collies a whippet and a jack russell together, never caught huge amounts but to watch them work together hunting up was utter bliss.

My best was 6 with my beddy whipgrey it used to mark the briar patches and me and a mate would go poking around with a good stick, strong boots needed for that game, still do that but now got a saluki whippet and a beddy grey collie grey, its great watching the whippet stood on 3 legs waiting for the bolt and how it manages to be in the right place at the right time, and the beddy cross pinpointing them with its nose. Id reccomend that sport to anyone, its great when you watch how those dogs position themselves, and gel with you as part of a working team gives me a great buzz. :thumbs:

I live in farmland so every day i walk my dogs across open fields, littered with little spinneys and patches of cover. All my dogs have grown up around here since 8 weeks, i love watching them "hunt/work" naturally. I have a JRT, DalmationX Bearded Colie and a Beddy/whippet, we quite often have a border, 3 labs and a dalmation pup tagging along too!! It really is my favourite time of day just wandering about and letting the dogs do as they please. They regulary get 3/4 rabbits, normally 1/2 a day, sometimes a few rats from the muck heap as we walk past.

For me watching pups grow up in this environmant is so rewarding, everyday they learn a little bit more about the game and how to hunt as a pack. I also believe it teaches them vital skills as well, i.e using thier noses, learning to watch the older dogs, and install a "steady" attitude to game. I also like seeing all the different breeds getting involved, they all have skills and some are ace, some useless, but left to their own devices, they all play a part. Sometimes they get on marking a burrow and will literally spend 2/3 hours digging down to the rabbit, and for me watching them do that completely on their own and working together is why i keep dogs.

I take the lurcher lamping occasionally and the terrier ratting, but mooching around with the dogs is by far my favourite method of hunting.

The only downside is the land i live in is pretty much untouched so does tend to hold a lot more than the humble rabbit, sometimes things get a bit tricky with a pack of 8+ dogs and all manor of creatures breaking cover! Its certainly never boring! :clapper:

Edited by Hannah4181

a do a lot a daytime work with my lurcher and springer. most ave had is 3 the now but thats only local a dare say a would do better on better ground. hard to get a good bit a permission with the lurcher nowadays. a would would going out during the day with my spaniel and lurcher. its great watchin them work together

atb john