one lucky terrier

i fancied an evening walk with my lakey on some mod land near me my other dog a russell has had an op recently so left him at home.

Where i take him is stunning lots of open fields and hedges etc loads of bits and pieces to keep the dog happy had walked a couple of miles from my car, right in the middle of no where i was following the top of a small valley with a stream running through it. Suddenly a ginger bolted in front of me straight into the valley through the thickest brambles ive ever seen in my life before i could get hold of him the dogs gone after him. I could hear them getting further away deeper into this shit. I knew this was going to be a problem. Im whistling the dog like mad then silence, of course ive got shorts and t shirt on thinking how the feck am i going to get him out

I look the other side of the valley and see the sheep that are in the field are spooked and leg it, i panic and think the dogs onto the sheep, i run a mile back and cross over a bridge and jump into the sheep field whistling like mad thinking any minute i'll hear a shot gun blast and find my terrier dead anyway cut a long story short i run upto the middle of the field and see the sheep all together not running about etc this makes me realise the dogs not in the field and still in the valley somewhere.

Bollocks i run back to the place where i lost him and jump over the barber wire fence into the stinging nettles and brambles trying to block the fact that im getting stung and torn to pieces by brambles and sweating like a fat lass in a disco. I work my way to the bottom of the valley to the stream and decide i'll follow it up whistling until i find him, at his point im bleeding, thorns in my hands and up to my knees in mud!! and glowing nicely from the nettle stings.

All the time i stop and listen to see if i can hear him, nothing im realy panicking now convinced ive lost him and its dark now, gutted i image the little sod lost or flat on a road. ive walked about half a mile down stream now, and nothing i decide i'll make my way out of the valley and scramble up the bank.

I look above me and see two little eyes staring at me, the little sod is above me totaly wrapped up in brambles he cant move an inch and is balanced on a log! the spooky thing is he was totaly silent even though i was only 10 feet away from him. If i had decide to get out sooner or left it longer till i got out i would have never have found him as he was well stuck and right in the thick of it. I untangle him and lift him free and we both make our way out.

I have never in my life been so stung in my life and my legs are ripped to shreds but ive got the little bugger still and the cold becks is taking the pain away! its at times like that you realise how much the dogs mean to you when you think youve lost them how the hell antis can say we dont care about our dogs i would have crawled through hot coles to find him! all the best

my patt x lakey chased rabbit the other day whilst im fishing on the river,he ran into a thicket and i thought he,d run on, an hour later i,ve called for help and their,s two of us calling and looking for him, just as its getting dark im getting scared for him,then from out of the blue he sqealed and he also had been only 15 or so foot away and till then totally silent my calls he didnt answer.He was stuck down a rabbit hole i pulled him out, job done!!!

bloody daft terriers!!!!!

Hello Kentlad,

That Lakie of yours sure gets you in myther (i recall the staff incident), it's not that difficult to get a terrier to throw it's tongue on command ("where r ya")....seen a kid doing this a while back...i asked him had he purposefully manipulated the dog to return the shout and he explained that he had because the terriers natural "mark" when something wanted lifting in the field.. was to simply lie down infront of the obstruction and stay stum...thus rendering him with a prolonged search for his mutt that also turned up in close proximity. The "where r ya" trick was introduced at feed time by teasing (with food) and then not making eye contact, comical to watch outdoors (the lad also fishes) ...just another play on the "where's ya lead".

Oneredtrim.

thats a fantastic idea, its funny that every dog in britain understands "wheres ya lead" and they know that without trying i will work with that many thanks everyone. it was interesting what "mrs russell" was saying about the dog sitting still waiting silent in order not to get itself further in trouble also he becomes vunerable so the best thing is to keep silent, they rely so much on you there has been a few times now when ive bailed the dogs out and it is very true about their bond growing i have a great bond with the lakey, but not as much with the russell, but am looking forward to bringing that. I am realising a learing how important training is to bring the dogs on and how sometimes you can be lazy and just do the basics.

Glad you got him back Kentlad, your wounds will heal soon enough, y/s Jigger

I was out the other week for a mooch with the shotgun, my patt terrier was digging away at a mouse hole at the side of the field, so decided to leave him to it have a stalk up the hedge side and try and get a shot at some rabbits sat out in the field. Long story short, got back to where id left him and no sign, shouting for ages, was getting dark and my mouth was begining to go dry with worry, then all of a sudden I turned round and the little sod was stood by my feet, covered in soil. No idea where he had been! :rolleyes: