A mate of mine, I STRESS ..a mate of mine. Has just been given an AA310. He's done a bit of shooting in the past and is keen to get back into it. He asked me last night if he could fill his new gun with Nitrogen rather than the standard dive shop air. He works in air conditioning or something and has Nitrogen "on tap" (excuse the pun). :whistling:

I am quite happy with my normal air but thought i'd ask on his and my behalf. Don't want to be peering over his shoulder if he's holding a =@

Cheers Belly.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Contrary to what Linde has said, I would err on caution and be thinking that Nitrogen, on its own, is not a safe gas to be filling with - and the results of messing with unrecommended gasses for equipment needing a specific gas ONLY, are not nice to see. I can tell you - after having had to pick up the various and numerous parts of what is left of a body after. :thumbs:

Diver's shops will fill up any in test cylinder with clean, dry, and uncontaminated comressed air - the same air as you are breathing only that it is compressed form. :yes:

Nitrogen is contained in air we breath, and in the air used in our PCP's yes. BUT it is not the sole gas used in compressed air supply - no. It would have been measured and mixed with another gas in the process - with O2 (better known as Oxygen)

Better safe than sorry there, I reckon. :yes:

Regards,

Grim.

Edited by Grim Reaper

A mate of mine, I STRESS ..a mate of mine. Has just been given an AA310. He's done a bit of shooting in the past and is keen to get back into it. He asked me last night if he could fill his new gun with Nitrogen rather than the standard dive shop air. He works in air conditioning or something and has Nitrogen "on tap" (excuse the pun). :whistling:

I am quite happy with my normal air but thought i'd ask on his and my behalf. Don't want to be peering over his shoulder if he's holding a =@

Cheers Belly.

Take absolutley no notice of linde............. fill your gun (or your mates) with nitrogen & DIE. Its the 21% oxygen in air that makes it safe to breathe !

Nitrogen is fine mate, I use it all the time.

Alot safer than air and dryer.

Just dont try breathing it !

Remember air is 79% nitrogen, 21% oxygen.

Cheers Andy.

linde

If you dont know what you're on about keep your advice to yourself ! Tongue in cheek maybe........... tothe unknowing your advice could be a killer

I'm curoius about this one, no-one ever seems to say WHY nitrogen is unsafe.

So come on, how come inert gases like nitrogen or Argon, etc are unsafe to use? If someone says why then it will dispell any myths people have about using them.

You'd need a degree in molecular physics to dispel a myth that way........... + it'd be a VERY boring post lol

I'm curoius about this one, no-one ever seems to say WHY nitrogen is unsafe.

So come on, how come inert gases like nitrogen or Argon, etc are unsafe to use? If someone says why then it will dispell any myths people have about using them.

You'd need a degree in molecular physics to dispel a myth that way........... + it'd be a VERY boring post lol

I dunno, you could say the same about the dangers of playing with matches. but at least we all know in simple terms that if you play with matches you're likely to get burned.

I just want to know how an inert gas could be dangerous in a PCP. There must be a good reason

Cheers Andy.

linde

If you dont know what you're on about keep your advice to yourself ! Tongue in cheek maybe........... tothe unknowing your advice could be a killer

Sorry mate but I do know what I am on about because filling and using gases has been my job for the past 20 years, but I am sure you know more on the subject than I.

Inert gases are totally safe unless you decide to breath them. FACT

Air is an oxident and supports combustion. FACT.

Many thanks

Andy

Thanks for the advice on this one guys. I have passed on the info.....if he chooses to ignore i'll give him a walkie talkie and stay well away next time we are out together. :whistling:

Quite an interesting topic though this one,

1) it appears that paint ballers fill their "guns" with nitrogen

2) one of the biggest issues (according to google) is the pressure that it is stored at- giving a very quick (possibly innacurate) transfer from cylinder to gun.

3) US shooters are split 50 / 50 with opinion and useage

As someone with a professional diving qualification I have mountains of equipment, cylinders are something I am not short of and will continue to get my wind from the dive shop. :thumbs:

( A fill is free anyway, can't get cheaper than that )

I can't imagine how nervous I would be with a nitro. filled HW100. Crapping myself and closing my eyes every time I put my finger near the trigger !! :headshot::

Here's my mate with his new tool, just needs the sights :doh:

Thanks guys.

post-31464-125930199165_thumb.jpg

Cheers Andy.

No qualifications, bow to your superior knowledge and experience........... just wonder why NONE of the manufacturers recommend filling pcps with anything other than air ! hmmmmmmm over and out !

linde

Sorry mate but I do know what I am on about because filling and using gases has been my job for the past 20 years, but I am sure you know more on the subject than I.

Inert gases are totally safe unless you decide to breath them. FACT

Air is an oxident and supports combustion. FACT.

Many thanks

Andy