magpies

is it possible to decoy magpies i was thinking of getting a couple of magpie decoys and putting a rabbit carcase or something on the ground to look like they feeding on it then sitting in hide and pick them off as they land for a meal anybody ever tried this and to wat success

is it possible to decoy magpies i was thinking of getting a couple of magpie decoys and putting a rabbit carcase or something on the ground to look like they feeding on it then sitting in hide and pick them off as they land for a meal anybody ever tried this and to wat success

it works in spring when they are paired up and territorial

Agree with the Owl Decoy. Other small bird of pry decoys will also work. I peg a rabbit carcas out 30 yds from a hide, slit the gut and expose the intestines-works on crows and rooks too. An old trick is to have a matchbox with a few matches in and shake it when you hear the familiar Mgpie "Chatter"-it draws them in. Happy hunting.

I went into the city today and wound up buying two maggie decoys.

Got a bunny skin and head in the freezer.

Hoping weather's gonna be good tomorrow for some Crow capping and Maggi mugging in the paddock:boxing:

I've heard that Crows will come to Maggi deeks and vice versa. I hope so because the shop didn't have any crow deeks left.

Good tip re the matches, I have heard similar said regarding pellets in a tictak box :yes:

Phantom

Lay out 2 or 3 eggs, 1 broken open, that also works, best of luck. :thumbs:

Cheers Bob,

I'll deffo give that a go as well :D

Was gonna chuck some eggs out of the fridge as they were near their date.

Phantom

Your welcome,

Lets know how you get on. :thumbs:

Bob.

It will work Kev.But they do suss it out quick.Dont do the same ground to much.atb. Catcher :thumbs:

I'm pretty sure that decoying (baiting ?) magpies with foil / shiny items is illegal. Everything else is fine, in my garden I tend to leave a bin bag on the lawn and spread a couple of eggshells and litter as if the bag has been ripped open. It works an absolute treat. (Even better whan a stray piece of KitKat foil wrapper happens to blow in..... :whistling: :whistling: :whistling: :whistling:

post-31464-125948543233_thumb.jpg

Edited by BellySlater

cheers will try some ideas at weekend got a couple of magpie decoys and borrowed some plastic eggs from my little girl , have heard that if you get a 10p and put it flat on the palm of ur hand then grip it with the palm of our hand making a gap underneath the 10p then using another 10p hit the centre of the 10p it does sound good but will have to see