training gun dogs

they can be a very effective tool( i have not needed one myself but have helped good trainers who swear by them) if used correctly.

they are not a punishment but a method of getting the dogs attention. the old press a button and zap them collars are imho useless.innotek and others make good variable units,fron just a "tone" to vibration and light shocks.

imo anyone who uses them should try them out himself first and get advice from someone with alot of experiance with them.

not to be misused or tried out.

atb

has any one used training collars to train their gundog?..if so do you find them efecttive?..thanks :)

Hi i personally think they have a place but not round the neck of a dog under a year even 2yrs of age. I see to many people use them full time all day to work there dogs & to me that is a no,no. I dont see why people just dont train the dog first or seek advice as it is relativly easy to train cocker/ess or lab from my own experience to a steady standard for the field. It is when you start the dogs apprenticeship as i call it doing its first year of work that it all starts to come together & the dog starts to come on. Then say by 2-4yrs of age that the dog learns bad habbits & learns that if it stays clear of you for the next 5mins of its offence it is safe from punishment or trial wize as they call it. Again i see to many people punish a dog when it comes back instead of running out there to stop it. This is when an eletric coller in the right hands can come into its own as i have said to train a dog is basic kinda stuff & not hard just to many dont have a clue & the coller aint the answer for a pup just grow a back bone & run out to the dog & reinforce the command. You do not have to beat the dog that is a last/resort for the very disobejent dog there is a few other lighter steps before you need to get very firm with the dog & picking up/dragging a pup back to the spot of command is enough to teach/learn a pup & they learn quick & young dogs can be fun when training well due to there keeness & drive.

I have one !

Innotec ultrasmart .

My dog has a large amount of FTCH in her pedigree and is Very HOT . This collar has been a gift from GOD ! Gone are the days of frustration and shouting at a dog that is not listening , After a week of using the collar with command/buzzer/shock [ yes i did try it on my self with full power ! the anticipation is worse than the static shock] I then went on to command/buzzer the result was fantastic.

I now have a dog that responds to the whistle and command and not a dog that is constantly shouted at whistled and beaten like a large amount on shoot days.

Please NOTE that it is a training Aid and NOT A SHORT CUT TO TRAINING .

P.S look up 'Dog goodies on google ' demo models are £ 40 cheaper

has any one used training collars to train their gundog?..if so do you find them efecttive?..thanks :)

Hi i personally think they have a place but not round the neck of a dog under a year even 2yrs of age. I see to many people use them full time all day to work there dogs & to me that is a no,no. I dont see why people just dont train the dog first or seek advice as it is relativly easy to train cocker/ess or lab from my own experience to a steady standard for the field. It is when you start the dogs apprenticeship as i call it doing its first year of work that it all starts to come together & the dog starts to come on. Then say by 2-4yrs of age that the dog learns bad habbits & learns that if it stays clear of you for the next 5mins of its offence it is safe from punishment or trial wize as they call it. Again i see to many people punish a dog when it comes back instead of running out there to stop it. This is when an eletric coller in the right hands can come into its own as i have said to train a dog is basic kinda stuff & not hard just to many dont have a clue & the coller aint the answer for a pup just grow a back bone & run out to the dog & reinforce the command. You do not have to beat the dog that is a last/resort for the very disobejent dog there is a few other lighter steps before you need to get very firm with the dog & picking up/dragging a pup back to the spot of command is enough to teach/learn a pup & they learn quick & young dogs can be fun when training well due to there keeness & drive.

thats is about the best bit of advise you could give well said mate :clapper:

thanks v-max helps alot :thumbs:

waste off money train them the old fashion way

They are surely not a waste of money best thing ever invented for training ANY type of dog not just a gundog :thumbs:

[/quote

waste off money train them the old fashion way

They are surely not a waste of money best thing ever invented for training ANY type of dog not just a gundog :thumbs:

tanks sir

I have one !

Innotec ultrasmart .

My dog has a large amount of FTCH in her pedigree and is Very HOT . This collar has been a gift from GOD ! Gone are the days of frustration and shouting at a dog that is not listening , After a week of using the collar with command/buzzer/shock [ yes i did try it on my self with full power ! the anticipation is worse than the static shock] I then went on to command/buzzer the result was fantastic.

I now have a dog that responds to the whistle and command and not a dog that is constantly shouted at whistled and beaten like a large amount on shoot days.

Please NOTE that it is a training Aid and NOT A SHORT CUT TO TRAINING .

P.S look up 'Dog goodies on google ' demo models are £ 40 cheaper

tanks for d replie mate :thumbs:

you are right there they should not be used at all people have dogs cant train them but get one all they do is hurt the dog and they lose there temper and do it more.

my 4 year old was one night mare to train and to tell you the truth he is not all there now but he is a one of never been hit or any thing but turned out just what i want.

them collers should be banned if you ask me.

a good dog man wil train him right if not then its his fault not the dog but they get them and think they can change it but they cant