lets see some working whippets pics

Since i have lived in the same area all my life i would expect to sound alike and if you can tell how either of us sound over the internet you are something special. I first came on the site after i started going out with kris. i ferreted with him as a kid but this will be my first dog i dont know him as a person on or through this site but i was schooled with him 2 years above. all he has ever been is decent to me so ill go with my opinions i do see him on a daily basis so i suppose my opinion would be a better one than of someone in the other end of the country.

all the whippets i have seen have thrived outdoors working in the rain is not a problem as long as common sense comes in and you dry them of properly before bedding them down. i go out with three lads with whippets and all the dogs are kept outdoors in kennel run systems. no heaters just dry warm raised beds and company and they are all thriving worked regularly.

greg

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

would just like to say a big thank you to all that replied just one more question my pup is 15 weeks and is 16inchs tts how big do u think he will be his sire was 20 and a bit and the dam 18 and half only asking as he seems quite big four his age or is he bout [bANNED TEXT] :thumbs:

just a few over the last year. he looks allot better now i have him out lamping. will get some better pics up tomorrow. hare was shot and retrieved in case any one was getting agitated.

nice little dogs everyone the hare looks as big as the dog

would just like to say a big thank you to all that replied just one more question my pup is 15 weeks and is 16inchs tts how big do u think he will be his sire was 20 and a bit and the dam 18 and half only asking as he seems quite big four his age or is he bout [bANNED TEXT] thumbs.gif

This might help you out abit on whippets

Appearance

Whippets are a medium-size dog averaging in weight from 25 to 40 lb (11–18 kg), with height (under the FCI standard) of 18.5 - 20 inches (47 - 51 cm) for males and 17.5–18.5 inches (44–47 cm) for females. Whippets tend to be somewhat larger in the United States and Canada with their population in show, coursing and some race whippets required to be within the AKC standard of 18.5 to 22.5 inches (47 to 57 cm) for males, and 17.5 to 21.5 inches (44 to 55 cm) for females. Because color is considered immaterial in judging Whippets, they come in a wide variety of colors and marking patterns, everything from solid black to solid white, with red, fawn, brindle, blue, or cream. All manner of spots and blazes and patches are seen, sometimes all in the same litter.

Temperament

Whippets are generally quiet and gentle dogs, and may be content to spend much of the day resting. Although especially attached to their owners, they are friendly to visitors. They are not prone to snapping, so they are good with young children. Because of their friendly nature, whippets are known to have been used in aged care facilities.[citation needed] They may bark when strangers arrive but are not suited to being guard dogs. They do, however, tend to attack cats that stray into their territory, unless they have been raised with cats.

Unlike some other breeds, male whippets are as easy to housebreak as females. Male whippets are also as unaggressive as female whippets. Males are sometimes considered to be slightly more loyal and enjoy repetitive play. Females can be a little more complex, moody and strong-willed. Males tend to be one to two inches taller and three to six pounds heavier than females.

Whippet sleeping in the 'cockroach' position characteristic of sighthoundsWhippets are not well-adapted for living in a kennel, or as outside dogs. Their coats do not provide insulation to withstand prolonged periods in cold temperatures. Their natural attachment to people makes them happiest when kept indoors. They are most at home in the company of their owners—in their lap or lying next to them on the lounge. Whippets are quiet and thus well suited to apartment life, although like all dogs they need regular, healthy exercise. The chance to run free in open spaces should be made available to the whippet; however care should be taken with whippets on the street as it is difficult to instill any sort of traffic sense into them.

Whippets have been called a "poor man's racehorse." As their heritage would suggest, whippets are outstanding running dogs and are top competitors in lure coursing, straight racing, and oval track racing. Typically in these events, a temporary track and lure system is set up. The lure is usually a white plastic trash bag, sometimes in conjunction with a "squawker" to simulate a sort of prey sound or with a small piece of animal pelt. With the advent of new methods in motivational obedience training being used, whippets are becoming successful obedience dogs. Many enjoy flyball and agility.

A May 7, 2007 article in Science Daily reported on a genetic mutation that may account for the abnormally high athletic ability of whippets.

The elegance and ease of grooming of the whippet have made it a somewhat popular in the sport of conformation showing. It has, however, never quite gained the popularity of such dog show stalwarts as the poodle.

Health

Given proper nutrition, exercise, and veterinary care, most whippets live for 12 to 15 years.[3] They are generally healthy, and are not prone to the frequent ear infections, skin allergies, or digestive problems that can afflict other breeds. Genetic eye defects, though quite rare, have been noted in the breed. Because of this the American Whippet Club recommends that all breeders test for this defect in their breeding stock. Hip dysplasia is unknown in whippets. Undescended testicles are common in the breed. Like most sighthounds, they are intolerant to barbiturate anesthetics.

The heart of a whippet is large and slow beating, often being arrhythmic or even intermittent when the animal is at rest[citation needed] This sometimes causes concern to the owner, or to the vet not experienced with the breed. Whippets will, however, demonstrate a regular heartbeat during exercise. In a health survey conducted by The Kennel Club (UK) cardiac problems were shown to be the second leading cause of mortality in Whippets.[4] It is not clear, however, whether this is at all related to the breed's somewhat unusual heart function. See athletic heart syndrome.

A 2007 study identified a myostatin mutation particular to whippets that is significantly associated with their athletic performance. Whippets with a single copy of this mutation are generally very fast; those with two copies have disproportionately large musculature and are known as "bully whippets". A Whippet owner should take notice that Whippets are, just like other sighthounds, sensitive to a number of anesthetics. This may be due to their low concentration of body fat. Any Whippet should have a sighthound-knowledgeable veterinarian.

Atb. James

mine not the best but not the worst not mutch heart shame reaaly hes a decent dog

are you sure?, not knocking you or anything he is a good looking dog, but he doesnt look very fit, try upping his fitness levels then see what hes like , havent posted this to upset you genuinely trying to help

DG

mine not the best but not the worst not mutch heart shame reaaly hes a decent dog

are you sure?, not knocking you or anything he is a good looking dog, but he doesnt look very fit, try upping his fitness levels then see what hes like , havent posted this to upset you genuinely trying to help

DG

he runs on rabbits 3 times a week decent ground very fit just has no balls will make a good pet to someone soon.

How old is he and have you taken him out with other so he can watch and learn. Atb

2.5 years he runs with other dogs my other whippet and a mates bullx just no balls