Russell Pics

I reckon they are what most people would recognise as a 'traditional' Jack Russell - small dogs bred to be handy no matter if they had pointy ears or bandy legs. ;) Would these photos have been taken before showing working dogs was popular? These days at shows the longer legged Parsons type seem to be popular. How did they all get on together? Did they live and work as a pack?

I reckon they are what most people would recognise as a 'traditional' Jack Russell - small dogs bred to be handy no matter if they....

agreed,thats the type i grew up with everybody used/kept them round my way say 25 years ago

the first patterdale(roughcoated) i seen wasnt untill the 80,s and i dont think ive seen anything the size of that thing since :) .

same goes for the leggy russells.

reminds me of my youth seeing them old pics and some of the dogs my father had, still a very popular type where i am but for all the wrong reasons mostly,nice pics :)

Where did all these old dogs go? years ago you didn't see the leggy types about such as JRTCGB & Parsons types, most farmers & a few of the hunts had the above type of Jack but now its hard to find any that are still worked. Do you think even showing within the working terrier shows ruined the old traditional JRT as the people judging went more for the looks of the leggy white lakie cross types, or did it just die out in favour of patts etc? I see alot of lakie/fell influenece in the working show rings too much now. When you take a dog out like the above type thats worked for a good 7 seasons has scars & missing teeth & not a beauty by no means but has all the attributes to do its job right but it gets beat in best entered terrier class by a dog pristine white without a mark on it it makes one feel sick to the gut, call it sour grapes if you like but i think working shows should be for working dogs. The shows used to be where you could have a good banter & gossip about the dogs & hunting & whoever won the show at least you knew the dog that won was a worker tried & tested, but now its all about which shows you won the week before & how many rosettes & winnings you've taken, how much you get for pups etc etc :(