Which calibre for Fox ??

Quick update

Just spoke to my FEO and been told that they have no problem with aproving 17 HMR for fox, which im pleased with,because it may be a case that i can only get clearence for my smaller permission, at least i no i'll be covered.

As with the larger calibre have been advised to put .222 / .223 on the form.

If all goes well; what stainless synthetic options have i got in the 17 HMR thats reliable and consistant ? funds not a problem as ive got a rifle to chop in.

Regards

TBH mate i would not shoot a fox over 100 yds with an hmr especially if the shooter is inexperienced, as for the 22-250 verses the 223 noise issue i would suggest you try a decent mod like an ASE. My 22-250 is quieter with a ASE mod than my old 223 with a T4 and for the velocity seekers I'm pushing a 60gn Nosler out at 3800fps pretty flat as well :gunsmilie:

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quick update

Just spoke to my FEO and been told that they have no problem with aproving 17 HMR for fox, which im pleased with,because it may be a case that i can only get clearence for my smaller permission, at least i no i'll be covered.

As with the larger calibre have been advised to put .222 / .223 on the form.

If all goes well; what stainless synthetic options have i got in the 17 HMR thats reliable and consistant ? funds not a problem as ive got a rifle to chop in.

Regards

TBH mate i would not shoot a fox over 100 yds with an hmr especially if the shooter is inexperienced, as for the 22-250 verses the 223 noise issue i would suggest you try a decent mod like an ASE. My 22-250 is quieter with a ASE mod than my old 223 with a T4 and for the velocity seekers I'm pushing a 60gn Nosler out at 3800fps pretty flat as well :gunsmilie:

Cheers mate,

To be fair the majority that ive had ive managed to call in quite close and taken with the shot gun, Theres still a few stuburn ones out there, prob looking at about 80 -90 yds, no further.

whys that the 222 is easy to reload for. very accurate and great foxing round with 40 grain ammo. mild shooting to.

Jamie, I doubt many beginners reload ! and the .223 has a bigger range of, and more readily available ammo. I just think that the .223 will do the same as .222 and will be generally easier to run.

Their ability to shoot a fox will be about equal but for a newbie as a fox caliber I would go for .223 over .222 anyday.

But, as has been said both calibres have about the samepower and range so it really is a personal choice.

:thumbs:

Edited by dixyhmr

This thread is very interesting, and shows up some inconsistencies with FLOs from differing forces. When I applied for my first FAC, my FLO stated that under no circumstances would our Constabulary approve any rimfire for fox control. Minimum they would approve was 22-250 at that time, although some things may have changed since then.

As has already been said, land acreage is less important than topography and location - FLO offered to approve any calibre I wanted on the 50 acres I had at that time, and tried to persuade me that I probably needed at least a .270 because of the likelyhood of wild boar arriving in the future. :hmm: