jack price BORDERS

I know this is an old thread but my dad now dead and gone bred borders/russels and was big mates with jack price 35yrs ago.

In fact jack pulled my front teeth out when I was 6 yrs old Ill never forget it because they wearnt ready :laugh:

Anyway the dogs my dad had all worked and on the black uns in the 60s/70s and like said they were brilliant dogs in fact he didnt rate lakeys as they just got smashed up, but the borders in those days would have more sense and these were the days before locators so a good dog would bay and let you know where they were.

But even some of those old Borders only knew one way forward and they would mix it and get smashed up just the same as the patterdales and lakeys he had owned in fact my dad told me a story of one little bitch he had who spend all day with him dug four black uns and passed away that night at his heels in the shed just exhausted, hard as you like.

In the 80s my dad bought me a border from jack I named "ben" he was crackers my dad took him on his rounds as a keeper every day and couldnt tire him of work he had a proper bonce on him and would smash into anything, we got rid as he would bark from going in the kennel at night to 6 in a morning no matter how much stick you gave him, so we got rid but all the fire in the world and would have won a show or three.

My dad took his dogs to shows after working them in the morning and the judges round here would give points for a border with some battle scars not like today.

He had seleums/russels/lakeys/patterdales but stuck with borders, him and some of his mates actualy took a few dogs down crufts back in the day.

Anyone know if jack is still alive and going strong?

Edited by engraver
  • Like 1

He certainly is. He makes i larf too. A very knowlegeable man is Jack when it comes to terriers. An hour or two spent with Jack would teach all the bullshitters who constantly slate the working abilities of a Border a lesson or two, and prove there is a future for the working Border.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

He certainly is. He makes i larf too. A very knowlegeable man is Jack when it comes to terriers. An hour or two spent with Jack would teach all the bullshitters who constantly slate the working abilities of a Border a lesson or two, and prove there is a future for the working Border.

two of the best borders ive ever seen were oxcroft bred owned by a lad in durham propper digging dogs levis borders had oxcroft in them too

look up a dog called Oxcroft rocket, Im sure my dad had some dogs from that line and they were good dogs, cant ask my dad afraid as he isnt here anymore, but all I know is as a kid I was surrounded with working borders all worked as much as possibe.

Wish we could have carried the line on and had pups off her, in the 1980s,

I ended up with lakeland x russels and whippets but still had the old border bitch and she would still punish the russels every now and then lol.

only seen a few oxcroft borders,they seem small and i think they would be pushed about if worked on stuff thats seen terriers before.

I've had 2 from Jack & taken a bitch of mine for a mating with Rogue. I kept a dog pup back and not one of 'em had a reverse gear.

• 4 weeks later...