Levi Oakes info

Hi Folks, just wondering did anyone on here ever meet or hunt with Levi Oakes, his name seems to be highly respected in border terrier circles[even on this side of the pond]. I noticed from another post that Mark P and Reef mention him id love to know more about him such as was he terrierman to any hunts or prefer to hunt solo,did he keep a big kennell and did he k.c. reg his dogs ,did he like hard dogs or sounders,did he only work his dogs on fox,did he keep a lurcher,did he shoot and what part of UK did he live in? a.t.b. Burrowman

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Folks, just wondering did anyone on here ever meet or hunt with Levi Oakes, his name seems to be highly respected in border terrier circles[even on this side of the pond]. I noticed from another post that Mark P and Reef mention him id love to know more about him such as was he terrierman to any hunts or prefer to hunt solo,did he keep a big kennell and did he k.c. reg his dogs ,did he like hard dogs or sounders,did he only work his dogs on fox,did he keep a lurcher,did he shoot and what part of UK did he live in? a.t.b. Burrowman
Ray walker worked this line very hard and went out with Levi but so did alot of good terriermen fred jim gordon keith john frank to name but a few but I know one thing you would have to ring Levi he wouldnt ring you ;)

there is good interveiw with him in a book by D piacentini. the books called Hardworkers: The real terriers. he speaks abt his life with terriers,fairly good read.

hope that helps

levi wasnt a terrierman to any hunts but he did know every land owner round his part of cheshire, so had loads of digging most of which was done by ray walker ,albert radcliffe,and gordon grinley.who were probably the last ones to see levi with a spade in his hand.ifirst met levi in the early ninetys and he hadnt been digging for few years then due to ill health .by then this line was near the end of what were the best of his terriers ,too inbred

i know he tried a couple of outcross borders without any success, big shame .also ray walker should take some credit for those early borders as he bred and worked most of them.that said ive had good sport with these borders ,i outcrossed to park lakeland .i see mark p has some levi oakes borders would like to see the working peds not kc to see whats in them .not knocking his dogs just interested

Ray walker worked this line very hard and went out with Levi but so did alot of good terriermen fred jim gordon keith john frank to name but a few but I know one thing you would have to ring Levi he wouldnt ring you ;)

breeder sorry about this but frank digging do you now this man he,s a puff in a white track suit mate never been digging just talked alot of what other people had done

no did not know frank coakran only spoke to him on the phone ray put me on to him but ihave spoke to tony Robers mark friend Bernie got his borders from Duggie bratton do you now him? do you now gorden and if so did you see his dogs work? thanks for your time

i now gorden very well in the past he himself had some great borders an alot of digging i now tony roberts as well tony he had some really hard stuff on the go he cant eat a full dinner an a pudding he wants go sleep after a good hard dig

Edited by winjim

no did not know frank only spoke to him on the phone ray put me on to him but ihave spoke to tony mark friend Bernie got his borders from Duggie do you now him? do you now gorden and if so did you see his dogs work? thanks for your t

i now gorden very well in the past he himself had some great borders an alot of digging

Edited by The Breeder
Guest digbert

u forget albert radcliff mate, him an ray walker work ther own lines albert being the one between them who had them first, him and ray struggled to find proper working borders they couldent find eny worth breed in off, they line breed them a few times, shortly they became undershot, and came with small heads, he told me they were to hard only lasting a couple of digs. they gave ther stuff to levi as he was strugglein to find good borders aswell, not manny people no that alot of levis stuff was border lakelands, which he passed as pure borders, never mind the papers because most of them was fake he put lakelands in the breed to give em a bit of size back in to them.

u forget albert radcliff mate, him an ray walker work ther own lines albert being the one between them who had them first, him and ray struggled to find proper working borders they couldent find eny worth breed in off, they line breed them a few times, shortly they became undershot, and came with small heads, he told me they were to hard only lasting a couple of digs. they gave ther stuff to levi as he was strugglein to find good borders aswell, not manny people no that alot of levis stuff was border lakelands, which he passed as pure borders, never mind the papers because most of them was fake he put lakelands in the breed to give em a bit of size back in to them.

wasnt going to mension that part of it but i can back you on this ,he had two border lakelands from me 3/4 his border and 1/4 lakeland through a bitch i had from john park . he never talked about them

wasnt going to mension that part of it but i can back you on this ,he had two border lakelands from me 3/4 his border and 1/4 lakeland through a bitch i had from john park . he never talked about them

you keep on ray this albert that it all started with levi an a bitch called misty thats where all this hard line came from simmy danny pepper an more to mention this line started with levi owning the misty bitch trust me i spent years with levi

the introduction of the border x lakelands was after the red stag breeding if memory serves me right reef did levi ever get anything out of taffy an rosie that breeding would of turned his breeding round in a big way

Edited by winjim

you keep on ray this albert that it all started with levi an a bitch called misty thats where all this hard line came from simmy danny pepper an more to mention this line started with levi owning the misty bitch trust me i spent years with levi

the introduction of the border x lakelands was after the red stag breeding if memory serves me right reef did levi ever get anything out of taffy an rosie that breeding would of turned his breeding round in a big way

levi had 2 pups from jake x rosie and 1 from mick x sally ,sally was a full lakeland, rosie was 1/2 bred he did want one from taffy x rosie but i would nt let him have one ,he stopped speaking to me over it ,he also had something to do with a lakie dog from kent .