How many Moderators/Silencers allowed ?

Hello all, just need a bit of advice here as I am thinking of changing my sound moderator on my .22Lr for a shorter one.

The one that I currently have, I purchased when I bought the rifle which is, I am led to believe a Sako moderator with nylon one piece baffle which is around 6" long.

The concern I have is that my FAC states ".22Lr Sako sound moderator". Does this mean that this is the only one that I am able to possess unless I request a variation ?

I would like to buy a shorter Wildcat Whisper .22LR sound moderator, but would a gun shop refuse me a sale unless it distinctly states this particular make model on my ticket ?

Thanks in advance, Steve.

By the sound of things, to do this right you will need a variation, but there is also a suggestion above!

I'm curious to know what has steered you towards a Whisper for the .22lr.

I don't have one but I have shot through one, and the guy who did buy it was gutted he wasted so much money, vowing to buy a SAK next time!

Hard to tell the difference between that and the SAK in my limited experience.

:thumbs:

By the sound of things, to do this right you will need a variation, but there is also a suggestion above!

I'm curious to know what has steered you towards a Whisper for the .22lr.

I don't have one but I have shot through one, and the guy who did buy it was gutted he wasted so much money, vowing to buy a SAK next time!

Hard to tell the difference between that and the SAK in my limited experience.

:thumbs:

your right on 22lr with subs all mods are about the same. hard to say which is best. so price is the winner

The concern I have is that my FAC states ".22Lr Sako sound moderator". Does this mean that this is the only one that I am able to possess unless I request a variation ?

Hi Steve, yes that's exactly what it means! And to do anything else means that if caught you will lose your firearms certificate. Frankly, it's a crap set of laws but never the less if you buy, own and use another moderator on your firearms, one which is not registered on your firearm certificate, you are breaking the law.

You can of course buy a second moderator and solely use it on an airgun with no consequences or you can buy a moderator to fit a shotgun with no license, none of it makes any real sense at all.

John

As others have stated, the law re mods is a little woolly to say the least. I have 5 mods on various rifles and when these were purchased at various times I got my RFD to put them down in the 'make column' as N/K (not known) That way I can exchange them without all this legal stupidity. After all, a mod on its own isn't exactly a dangerous item.

Hello all, just need a bit of advice here as I am thinking of changing my sound moderator on my .22Lr for a shorter one.

The one that I currently have, I purchased when I bought the rifle which is, I am led to believe a Sako moderator with nylon one piece baffle which is around 6" long.

I would like to buy a shorter Wildcat Whisper .22LR sound moderator, but would a gun shop refuse me a sale unless it distinctly states this particular make model on my ticket ?

Thanks in advance, Steve.

Just a comment, I bought .17 Wildcat Whisper when I had a 17HMR (Long gone calibre, no use to me at all, but that's another story).

The Whisper looks really good, it's well made, all metal and fully strippable, but it cost £120, and it was NO BETTER or worse than a SAK I had in 'the cupboard' which cost me £25, I clearly did not try the Whisper on my .22 as it was calibre specific but as the baffle section will almost certainly the same on the .22 version it will be smaller than the SAK's internal chamber therefore potentially not as good with subsonic .22's? Who knows?

I suggest you get a SAK for 'your airgun' and try it on your .22, they retail for about £33.

I bought the Whisper for my .17 because I thought the extra power of the 17HMR muzzle blast would be better contained within the very robust steel unit, this is not I think relevent for the .22 subsonic.

But put another way you could buy 1500 rounds of .22 subsonic's with what you save if you buy a SAK!

It's your call!

Andy F.