Things you dont know

We have also had monitor lizards,cobra,and the wife once shot a 9ft python as it was digesting a chicken :yes:

monitor lizards i like and am about to buy a Bosc but snakes I like in a vivarium :unsure: I've seen adders in Scotland and walking in Australia I always had one eye open on the leave litter and overhanging trees :11: Walking in the rainforest with my wife and daughter we were warned by a german couple (the only people we saw in several hours) to be carefull off a python that had just crossed the track ahead, my bottom started twithing and my eyes worked overtime but the only wild snake I saw in Oz was a roadkill Red bellied black snake.

Where is your holiday home Mackem? I have a touring caravan :11:

Sorry - bit late to this thread

On the subject of bees I can help a little. My Dad keeps bees so I grew up with half a dozen hives in the garden.

Like birds and some other animals, bees seem to know when it's going to rain. We could be out in the garden and see a positive 'rush' of bees all streaming back to the hive. We'd know to pack stuff up and usually be under cover just as the showers started.

If it's already raining they just don't go out, same as during the winter. Honeybees have a peculiar biology which means that they can only crap when they are flying - so the nest stays clean.

I imagine that it's similar for the 'wild' species of bee.

John