suluki x german shepard

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it first cross cross if that helps and the gsd is the mother (is that sire?)

i can ask about the gds history of hips as i know the lady well

and they look strong stocky dogs although the mother did have a nip at me when i walked through the gate (would this be passed on to the pups)

then there is the question

bitch or dog? what are the pros and cons for each?

thanks

brecon3

Don't get one just because you like the look of the pups, ALL pups look nice thats because they are pups and pups are cute.

As for the one who said it would be a good cross, a good cross for what and why don't you get one, get a grip Gripper.

Are they free?

i HAVE got a german sheperd x greyhound :blink: and i DO think it will be an exellent cross and its always good to experiment, how can you judge a dog which you havn't witnessed, salukis are like greyhounds, bit slower, more stamina, and as ive already said GSD crosses have amazing power endurance and stamina, they have the brains and obidience of a colliex with the power and drive of a bullx, i WOULD have one if i knew the lines it came from, im talkin out of experience with this type of cross, leegreen is just leaving his OPINION, and you also asked what would it be good for leegreen..... erm hunting :blink:

atb Gripper

You've got a GSDx Greyhound thats not experience with a Saluki x GSD, the cross will be quite slow as stated and its not "always good to experiment" unless you have good homes for all the pups, they will find them selfs unwanted in a working homes as they will not be good enough. GSD and Saluki's already have enough stamina so cross them, unless it was an accident. When I asked what would it be good for, I wasn't after a sarcastic answer, I was asking what will it hunt? Or better still what could it catch?

but i do have experience with a GSDx right, a GSD lurcher, and i think it is a great dog to put into a lurcher and it may not be ALWAYS good to experiment, but why not if its a good type of lurcher, the right GSD x saluki would be the begining of a good line of lurchers, and as for what it would catch, a salukix can catch anything that a greyhoundx can catch and ill say this again.. GSDs arnt slow

what would be the cost of a pup from this type of cross???

id deffo line it to a grey hound when old enough and think they maybe what some lurcher lads are looking for.

i also think it would have pray drive like no other

another good cross to bring in to the lurcher would be a belgian malinois IMO

It's a ridiculous cross IMHO, tell me what improvements for hunting they bring to a Saluki? I can't think of one.

It is a complete backward step to produce something that you will use to produce something that still won't be anything better than a Saluki and a SalukiXGreyhound anyway so what is the point. :blink:

Edited by Meerihunter
It's a riculous cross IMHO, tell me what improvements for hunting they bring to a Saluki? I can't think of one.

It is a complete backward step to produce something that you will use to produce something that still won't be anything better than a Saluki and a SalukiXGreyhound anyway so what is the point. :blink:

you could say that about any dog, its just like saying whats the point in bringing collie to a lurcher, whats the point in bringing a bull to a lurcher, i really cant see how people can like all of these crosses and dogs in lurchers, but judge the GSD cross and say its no good :blink:

thanks for the input

they are asking for £150

when i said that they are good looking dogs i wasnt meaning they were cute i ment that they were strong , healthy ,alert pups who all of them were jumping at the gate of the kennel when i came near

the only problems i would be thinking of are that the father is very flghty and skitish and the mother has had a go at my mums corgi and a jack russel up the road that required vets attention would this be passed onto the pups?

neither mother or father has really worked

thanks

It's a riculous cross IMHO, tell me what improvements for hunting they bring to a Saluki? I can't think of one.

simple ,BRAIN ,some thing i personaly think a saluki lacks big time ,that is why i have never or ever would own one .
it first cross cross if that helps and the gsd is the mother (is that sire?)

i can ask about the gds history of hips as i know the lady well

and they look strong stocky dogs although the mother did have a nip at me when i walked through the gate (would this be passed on to the pups)

then there is the question

bitch or dog? what are the pros and cons for each?

thanks

brecon3

Don't get one just because you like the look of the pups, ALL pups look nice thats because they are pups and pups are cute.

As for the one who said it would be a good cross, a good cross for what and why don't you get one, get a grip Gripper.

Are they free?

i HAVE got a german sheperd x greyhound :blink: and i DO think it will be an exellent cross and its always good to experiment, how can you judge a dog which you havn't witnessed, salukis are like greyhounds, bit slower, more stamina, and as ive already said GSD crosses have amazing power endurance and stamina, they have the brains and obidience of a colliex with the power and drive of a bullx, i WOULD have one if i knew the lines it came from, im talkin out of experience with this type of cross, leegreen is just leaving his OPINION, and you also asked what would it be good for leegreen..... erm hunting :blink:

atb Gripper

You've got a GSDx Greyhound thats not experience with a Saluki x GSD, the cross will be quite slow as stated and its not "always good to experiment" unless you have good homes for all the pups, they will find them selfs unwanted in a working homes as they will not be good enough. GSD and Saluki's already have enough stamina so cross them, unless it was an accident. When I asked what would it be good for, I wasn't after a sarcastic answer, I was asking what will it hunt? Or better still what could it catch?

even tho the ban is in place many people still hunt fallow fox and badger and they would be more suited for that but they obviously wouldnt have the same sort of pace as a gsd x grey but if this is a dog for you make sure the alsation is from working lines. And with a straight back not sloped. The kennel club have messed around alot with the gsd so take a good look at the gsd and also see it working before you make your final decision. Atb

id go with your heart mate i my self think it would be a good cross and a better cross to keep a pup out of it if you line it with a greyhound.

its only a bad cross as some people are saying cause there scared to try some thing different.

but i do agree that they are a £80 - £100 dog not a £150 dog.

It's a ridiculous cross IMHO, tell me what improvements for hunting they bring to a Saluki? I can't think of one.

you could say that about any dog, its just like saying whats the point in bringing collie to a lurcher, whats the point in bringing a bull to a lurcher, i really cant see how people can like all of these crosses and dogs in lurcher's, but judge the GAD cross and say its no good :blink:

It's not really the same thing, crossing to Greyhounds you can afford to sacrifice speed when crossing to a collie etc because the Grey has speed to spare, the Saluki has the speed of an average lurcher so you can't really afford to loose speed to GSD in the crossing. The typical GSD we see now in the UK has little to offer as serious working dog most have completely lost any functionality the breed once had.

simple ,BRAIN ,some thing i personaly think a saluki lacks big time ,that is why i have never or ever would own one .

With this BRAIN that Salukis apparently lack, it will be a better hunting dog because it can do.................What that a Saluki can't??

With this BRAIN that Salukis apparently lack, it will be a better hunting dog because it can do.................What that a Saluki can't??

learn to work at a slower pace and catch a lot more game .not rip and tear every where at 90 miles a hour ,