Whats the best .17hmr???

As above please fellas, thinking of getting rid of my cz ans 223 and getting a blinding hmr to sit my 20x50 conquest on.

What do you intend to shoot with it and over what distances...is that 2 guns you are getting rid of or one..and is that a fixed mag 20x scope you are referring to?

The HMR is no substitute for a .223!

The HMR is VERY accurate in the right conditions, even my Silhouette HMR will deliver touching shots at 100 yards if I do my bit, so I struggle to understand why anyone would want to spend a fortune on one, it isn't noted as a target tool, so how are we defining BEST HMR?

We all have different circumstances to deal with and preferences, so it usually comes down to personal choice. :thumbs:

As above please fellas, thinking of getting rid of my cz ans 223 and getting a blinding hmr to sit my 20x50 conquest on.

What do you intend to shoot with it and over what distances...is that 2 guns you are getting rid of or one..and is that a fixed mag 20x scope you are referring to?

The HMR is no substitute for a .223!

The HMR is VERY accurate in the right conditions, even my Silhouette HMR will deliver touching shots at 100 yards if I do my bit, so I struggle to understand why anyone would want to spend a fortune on one, it isn't noted as a target tool, so how are we defining BEST HMR?

We all have different circumstances to deal with and preferences, so it usually comes down to personal choice. :thumbs:

Just getting fed up with wasting ammo down the barrell of my cz. 1 minute the groups at 100 yard are touching, the next there almost 2 inch groups, try'd it clean and dirty. Seems very inconsistent. I sell my rabbits so all need to be head shots. When you come back from a night of missing as many as you shoot you feel like binning it.

Edited by vader

This is what i had to do to get mine shooting....

try and see if the barrel is free floating.... by sliding a piece of paper up between the barrel and stock to it touches the action.

On most of the CZ American's there is a little sticky point on the right hand side, take the stock of the gun... sand where the barrel touches the stock, and then apply a coat of varnish and let dry....

they shoot best when mildly dirty.... and take a while to settle after cleaning...

if you don't have it done already, change the trigger too.... for all of about 12 pounds from rimfire magic......

best of luck.

Snap.

This is what i had to do to get mine shooting....

try and see if the barrel is free floating.... by sliding a piece of paper up between the barrel and stock to it touches the action.

On most of the CZ American's there is a little sticky point on the right hand side, take the stock of the gun... sand where the barrel touches the stock, and then apply a coat of varnish and let dry....

they shoot best when mildly dirty.... and take a while to settle after cleaning...

if you don't have it done already, change the trigger too.... for all of about 12 pounds from rimfire magic......

best of luck.

Snap.

Yep, done both. I shot a group under half inch on paper after mounting my zeiss, went out that night and hit everything shot at in the head. All of a sudden I start missing again, check on paper and groups are around 1 1/2 -2 inch. Boresnaked, still crap, Cleaned with rod and brush, still crap, 50 later still crap.

Edited by vader

the last resort is to check all the fittings fixtures are tight.

next is a good copper cleaning routine, as even though the .17 is a rimfire it still is pushing a fair velocity, hence leaving traces of copper in the barrel....

hope you get sorted...

Snap.

the last resort is to check all the fittings fixtures are tight.

next is a good copper cleaning routine, as even though the .17 is a rimfire it still is pushing a fair velocity, hence leaving traces of copper in the barrel....

hope you get sorted...

Snap.

Even checked the mounts before the last try, ran a bronze brush down the barrell then left it filled with kg12 for a while and patched through. I did this before and it solved the prob for about 50 rounds. If I need to full clean then put 50 rounds through it to get it on song its just unacceptable, even though i've put 50 through it since the last clean and the groups are still 1 1/2 inch. no good for me what so ever. Bloomin thing.

seems to me like its a copper problem then and you need to put some time in getting it sorted....

Also a good carbon remover too ...

Snap.

I'll leave it soaking in KG1 from, 8 til 1, then KG12 from 1.30 until 5 and test again.