wondering if any of you can give me a bit of advice my sons xbox is about 16month old and as been fine until tonight when he went to use it when you put it on it shows up saying error 74 and hardware fault.so just wondering if any of you have come accross this before we can see if we can get it fixed.cheers kennel-maid

at the power switch on the front does it have any red lights instead of green?

if so how many lights (out of 4) are red?

red lights are a common fault with the 360

and are known as the ring of death!

each of them mean a different prolem and sometimes it can be sent back to microsoft

and they will fix and return it for nothing :clapper:

mine had 3 red lights and means its a power supply problem microsoft will

fix this problem for free aslong as the computer is no longer than 3 yrs old (yours isnt that old lol)

1 red light i beleive is the mother board in wich case throw the thing away its done for beyond repair

2 red lights is the disc drive possibly unsure about fixing that one i dont know of anyone with that problem??

4 red lights it goes in the bin total system shutdown or something

the only one i can 100% be sure on is the 3 red lights and i had to phone the good old customer services fecking nightmare that lol i dont know if the lights and problems are in that order but its along tose lines!

try putting a damp towel (not soaking) lightly soaked cover the xbox and turn it on for ten mins

apparently it locks the heat in and sometimes fixes the problem??

each of them mean a different prolem and sometimes it can be sent back to microsoft

fix this problem for free aslong as the computer is no longer than 3 yrs old (yours isnt that old lol)

1 red light i beleive is the mother board in wich case throw the thing away its done for beyond repair

2 red lights is the disc drive possibly unsure about fixing that one i dont know of anyone with that problem??

the only one i can 100% be sure on is the 3 red lights and i had to phone the good old customer services fecking nightmare that lol i dont know if the lights and problems are in that order but its along tose lines!

try putting a damp towel (not soaking) lightly soaked cover the xbox and turn it on for ten mins

my son had the 3 red light problem ,i bought stuff off ebay for five pound and i repaired it in about half hour,was very simple that was about 12 months ago and it is still going.

Hi there it as got 1 red light showing ont the bottom right hand side

Hi there it as got 1 red light showing ont the bottom right hand side

If you've got the reciept and the xbox has not been tampered with email microsoft and they send you all the labels etc to send it back and ups even pick it up they have extended thier warranty for three years,do not try to fix as in my expierience the fixes are only temporary and void any warranty

My eldest son's 360 packed up with the red lights for the second time not so long back, so I called them up and they sent a gentleman from UPS to pick the console up. I got a brand new one back two days after I sent the original one away for free (no P&P or anything like that).

I know the consoles shouldn't be breaking down but they know their consoles are unreliable so that's pretty good service to replace it all for free and in such quick time I thought.

My eldest son's 360 packed up with the red lights for the second time not so long back, so I called them up and they sent a gentleman from UPS to pick the console up. I got a brand new one back two days after I sent the original one away for free (no P&P or anything like that).

I know the consoles shouldn't be breaking down but they know their consoles are unreliable so that's pretty good service to replace it all for free and in such quick time I thought.

My sons console was picked up on wednesday by ups it only had one light showing microsoft have it now hope they get it sorted out as quick as yours mate.... :D

Chuck it in a fecking skip & get a PS3... :whistling:

All jokes aside, how much is this costing Gates? There's a 50% fail rate on the 360, and they sell them at a loss in the first place..

All jokes aside, how much is this costing Gates? There's a 50% fail rate on the 360, and they sell them at a loss in the first place..

PS3 lol what a farce! my lads have got one of those as well and the laser has burnt out on that, after having it for just a year!

Only thing is Sony want £100 to fix it :blink: .

PS3 lol what a farce! my lads have got one of those as well and the laser has burnt out on that, after having it for just a year!

I've had mine for three years and caned the f**k out of it with no bother. I have heard that some folk have problems with the laser, but nothing like the fail rate on the 360..

I've had mine for three years and caned the f**k out of it with no bother. I have heard that some folk have problems with the laser, but nothing like the fail rate on the 360..

Maybe not but it's a joke really, my pan lids don't even play on them all that often like some kids do, day in day out. Summer time they're hardly in the house, yet this piece of shit has broke down on them.

They're both shit really IMO, good when they're working but what good are they if they're knackered and break down all to often.

Maybe not but it's a joke really, my pan lids don't even play on them all that often like some kids do, day in day out. Summer time they're hardly in the house, yet this piece of shit has broke down on them.

They're both shit really IMO, good when they're working but what good are they if they're knackered and break down all to often.

I'd agree with that mate, it's not as if they're cheap to buy in the first place is it?

I'd agree with that mate, it's not as if they're cheap to buy in the first place is it?

Too right mate, then the b*****d fortune you spend on games as well.