bull x blog

was looking at hunting in california ,found this blogg about bullx s from an american cousin worth a look as theres always questions on here about bullxs he says what he thinks.

Dogs of Grit Blog

A house aint a home if there aint a dog in the yard

« This is D.O.G.

BULL LURCHER

BULL GREYHOUND LURCHER

The Bull Lurcher is a very unheard of breed and fits into D.O.G’s hunting class. It also happens to be one of the best dog’s I’ve owned and is one of the inspirations of this site.

The Bull Lurcher built for speed, power and a good nose all at once. It should be a low key dog, submissive to owner and family and patient with other animals that live in the home. Most importantly, it must have a high prey drive that not only includes the desire to chase but to also catch and kill its prey.

This dog should be fast enough to catch a coyote, fox or bob cat and powerful enough in body and bite to take it down.

The lurcher has been a dog of many crosses through out history since around 1600’s by Irish gypsies in Ireland and Great Britain. Lurcher comes from the word Lur which is a Roman word for thief. It is basically any dog crossed with greyhound or other sight hounds. These dogs were considered “pot-dogsâ€. What ever they caught, mostly rabbits, was thrown into the pot for dinner. They were favored by gypsies and poachers. If owned by an upper class person they were considered greyhounds, if owned by an outlaw, gypsie or lower class person they were considered lurchers. This is why it is very difficult to pin point the history of lurchers. Outlaws weren’t to good at keeping records.

Todays Greyhounds, due to entertainment, have become faster but lost their nose and intelegence. The lurcher, due to it still being used to hunt, has maintained both its nose and intellect when coming from hunting lines.

The Pitbull is crossed with the lurcher to add jaw power, grit and muscle. This cross tends to get injured a lot less during the chase by the terrain that can lead to joint and muscle injuries. They are simply sturdier and tougher than most grey hounds and lurchers. I trust my Kayla when out numbered by coyote’s that want to try to hunt her rather than her hunt them, Your typical lurcher would get badly injured in this fight and probably not hunt again. Kayla on the other hand looks forward to these confrontations and enjoys them, always resulting in the coyotes running for the hills.

Today these dogs are used to hunt coyote, fox, raccoon, rabbit and other vermin. Most times they are hunted in the same manner that I hunt Kayla with, and that’s with a small terrier that can get into holes and thickets to chase the quarry out in which the bull lurcher makes the catch.

PRICE RANGE:

Kayla was a rescue, but I’ve noticed the tend to range around $200-$300 dollars on up. Most aren’t into this breed for money but for sport and necessity.

MAINTANANCE:

These dogs need lots of daily exercise and outlets for their speed and prey drive. The should be brushed once a week and checked frequently for scraps and scratches and cuts because they get a lot of them. They have a high pain tolerance so also pay attention to signs of limping and any other injuries due to their speed and high drive. Do not start them off on high protein puppy foods for this can bring about growth spurts and joint problems.

TO DOG PARK OR NOT TO DOG PARK

Used to hunt with other dogs, most bull lurchers are fine at the dog park, but judge your dog as your dog. Some can be dog aggressive when there is no hunting outlet. Others like my Kayla can be extremely dominant for the 1st few minutes over other dogs, which can lead to fights, and then become their best friend and even extremely patient with the same dog once order is established.

In conclusion, this is a great hybrid breed. Submissive to owner and loves action. In some areas it is illegal, so check your local laws, but my favorite thing to do with Kayla is lamping.

We hit the field late at night with a spot light for rabbits and under the spot light some of the most exciting chases take place.

This entry was posted on Saturday, May 16th, 2009 at 8:04 pm and is filed under BREEDS OF GRIT. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

2 Responses to “BULL LURCHERâ€

KonstantinMiller says:

July 6, 2009 at 8:32 pm

Hello. I think the article is really interesting. I am even interested in reading more. How soon will you update your blog?

Pete a Pascual says:

August 11, 2009 at 1:28 am

INTERESTING I should stumble across this. WE run our pitbull most evenings along the river and corn fields near our house in central california, and have had many coyote chases where the yotes have simply out ran our two year old APBT. She has a very high prey drive and looks for them always!! So i thought to myself and researched on line, as to what kind of dogs would be effcient at running down coyotes: and killing them. I found sight hounds or long dogs, varous bulldog or pitbull types, sight hounds for running down prey. Pitbulls or bulldogs as catch dogs. Then i thought to myself about marrying the two for the ultimate catch and kill dog. aka pitbull/greyhound lurcher mix. please respond with information about enthusist and breeders of working dogs.

Leave a Reply

Click here to cancel reply.

You must be logged in to post a comment.

Dogs of Grit Blog is proudly powered by WordPress

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

not having a go here as i like bullx's, but me persanoly don't class them as true lurchers but thats me, there just pure killing machines, a bullx is a bullx imo. but if you go back when there wernt as many bullx's about and colliex's where more popular, did they not have enough prey drive so why add bull blood in the mix . not having a go here i no bullx's have there place just dont understand why there so popular is it coz they look harder.

They dont just look harder. They ARE :angry:

there just pure killing machines,
that to me sounds like a statement someone who has'nt seen many bull xs work would make,how many bull xs and over how many years have you seen them work?

cheers hbg

Guest miller1989
not having a go here as i like bullx's, but me persanoly don't class them as true lurchers but thats me, there just pure killing machines, a bullx is a bullx imo. but if you go back when there wernt as many bullx's about and colliex's where more popular, did they not have enough prey drive so why add bull blood in the mix . not having a go here i no bullx's have there place just dont understand why there so popular is it coz they look harder.

What an apsalute cock you are mate,just pure killing machines,f**k me all proper grafting lurchers are or should be, i realy wouldnt want to watch your dog on a night lamping or have you as an owner your off your rocker! example of a real idiot!

Anyway bull good post mate loved the read and it realy narrows the bull x down and puts it into a differnt cattagory to other lurchers to be honest! :clapper:

Guest miller1989

not having a go here as i like bullx's, but me persanoly don't class them as true lurchers but thats me, there just pure killing machines,

This kid is mad does he have a clue what he is saying,he so backwards!

Theres only one reason they are so popular mate. They are very good at there job! Its as simple as that. ;)

Guest robbie1

well done fence hopper another decent post ruined!!!!!!!