cocker training advise

I have a feeling that what i am going to say is the same as Mick 20 has pm'd you about but just in case.

I also feel you have missed a step out in the learning process of sitting to the whistle and that is having the dog sitting when away from you

I would reccomend that you:

Work on the sit command (i use a whistle and a raised hand to start with because the hand lets the dog know it should still be sat on the next bit as you move back) until it is an immediate reaction when you are stood with him. Once this is well ingrained then we can move on.

With your hand still raised take a step back, only a small one.

If the dog starts to move, blow the sit whistle.

If this doesnt work and the dog gets all the way to you then gently take it by the scruff and put it back on the spot and blow the sit whistle.

Then back off a step. If the dog sneaks again, put it back on the spot, sit it down and repeat. If it doesnt move then step back to it quickly (thus shortening the time something can go wrong) and give him some praise.

There is a good chance that in the early stages the dog will get wound up and upset and the creeping will get worse. When this happens. Gently take the dog back, sit it down and call it a day. Do some hunting, retrieving etc instead.

When you can take one step back every time and the dog wont move (and you dont have to keep reminding it) then take another step and move in stages until you can take maybe 10 then walk around the sitting dog and he doesnt move.

It is important to take this slowly and not be tempted to rush. If the foundations are solid then the rest is easier.

I also do not recall a dog from the sit at this stage, always go back to it because this means that there is no confusion and the dog isnt waiting for a command to move (thus meaning it is less likely to break)

You now have a dog will sit instantly on the whistle (which has been ingrained through the exercises) and one that is happy to be sitting when at a distance from you (which your dogs doesnt seem to be comfortable with).

Now comes the test. When the dog is hunting (not too gamey ground to start with) blow the sit whistle. In an ideal world the dog will immediatley stop and sit down. More likely is that it will take a few more paces and then sit.

If (when) this happens, gently put it in the spot where it should have sat and blow the stop whistle (as before in the walking back exercise). At this point you can take a few steps back, to re inforce the sit and stay and then return to the dog and start it hunting again.

Do not let the dog get away with taking extra steps or ignoring the command (always putting him on the spot where the whistle was blown)

Hopefully this proves some help, if you want any more ideas give me a pm.

Dan

p.s. Cockers are notorious 'creepers' when trying to do these exercises, as soon as the dog is getting worried and you are getting frustrated (so the dog gets more worried) call it a day. Better to put the training back a day than do something in the heat of the moment that puts the relationship with the dog back even further

Cheers,

as i said in my first poste "i have him sitting and staying no probs for any length of time"

what i have been doing is to sit him walk few yards away then call him up and blow the sit command this has been working. now i have a problem getting him up off the sit coz he has worked out whats going on. he has no problem understanding the recall aff the sit. :wallbash: bust b doing something wrong but cant seem to put my finger on it.

i also have similar problems with my cocker , its a 14 month old cocker spaniel and it used to come back to 3 pips on the whistle but now when hunting it totaly egnores me and doesnt even listen if i shout my head off. So i have started running over to it and checking it when it doesnt return to the whistle , but to be honest this does no good what so ever.This is my first dog and i am only 16 so dont have much experience with gundog training.Also i once attempted teaching it to stay by picking it up and putting it back in its place when it creeps forward, i did this for 2 month and it never got the hang of it , is there any other methods of teaching stay and getting the dog to come back to me .Thanks.

I have a feeling that what i am going to say is the same as Mick 20 has pm'd you about but just in case.

I also feel you have missed a step out in the learning process of sitting to the whistle and that is having the dog sitting when away from you

I would reccomend that you:

Work on the sit command (i use a whistle and a raised hand to start with because the hand lets the dog know it should still be sat on the next bit as you move back) until it is an immediate reaction when you are stood with him. Once this is well ingrained then we can move on.

With your hand still raised take a step back, only a small one.

If the dog starts to move, blow the sit whistle.

If this doesnt work and the dog gets all the way to you then gently take it by the scruff and put it back on the spot and blow the sit whistle.

Then back off a step. If the dog sneaks again, put it back on the spot, sit it down and repeat. If it doesnt move then step back to it quickly (thus shortening the time something can go wrong) and give him some praise.

There is a good chance that in the early stages the dog will get wound up and upset and the creeping will get worse. When this happens. Gently take the dog back, sit it down and call it a day. Do some hunting, retrieving etc instead.

When you can take one step back every time and the dog wont move (and you dont have to keep reminding it) then take another step and move in stages until you can take maybe 10 then walk around the sitting dog and he doesnt move.

It is important to take this slowly and not be tempted to rush. If the foundations are solid then the rest is easier.

I also do not recall a dog from the sit at this stage, always go back to it because this means that there is no confusion and the dog isnt waiting for a command to move (thus meaning it is less likely to break)

You now have a dog will sit instantly on the whistle (which has been ingrained through the exercises) and one that is happy to be sitting when at a distance from you (which your dogs doesnt seem to be comfortable with).

Now comes the test. When the dog is hunting (not too gamey ground to start with) blow the sit whistle. In an ideal world the dog will immediatley stop and sit down. More likely is that it will take a few more paces and then sit.

If (when) this happens, gently put it in the spot where it should have sat and blow the stop whistle (as before in the walking back exercise). At this point you can take a few steps back, to re inforce the sit and stay and then return to the dog and start it hunting again.

Do not let the dog get away with taking extra steps or ignoring the command (always putting him on the spot where the whistle was blown)

Hopefully this proves some help, if you want any more ideas give me a pm.

Dan

p.s. Cockers are notorious 'creepers' when trying to do these exercises, as soon as the dog is getting worried and you are getting frustrated (so the dog gets more worried) call it a day. Better to put the training back a day than do something in the heat of the moment that puts the relationship with the dog back even further

Cheers,

as i said in my first poste "i have him sitting and staying no probs for any length of time"

what i have been doing is to sit him walk few yards away then call him up and blow the sit command this has been working. now i have a problem getting him up off the sit coz he has worked out whats going on. he has no problem understanding the recall aff the sit. :wallbash: bust b doing something wrong but cant seem to put my finger on it.

Sounds like the dog needs a wee break. Stop training for a few days & play with him.

Then sit him up & throw a dummy which you send for him quickly. plenty of encouragement & he'll soon got off the sit. Also sit him up & call him into you, but dont stop him or sit him once he comes. Get on the floor and encourage him into you, he'' soon come if you START making it fun

You can always "toughen him up" if he starts running in too much.

Always remember they are Cockers not Springers

Edited by butcherboy

Sorry for the misunderstanding, i was under the impression that your problem was the fact that when you try to stop him on the whistle he comes back and sits at your feet which would indicate he isnt happy sitting at a distance and you need to go back a step.

The stop and the sit are essentially the same thing and they are the same command. When you blow the stop whistle he should sit down wherever he is

The problem has changed from him coming to you instead of sitting to him not coming to you because he is sitting.

If the second is the case i would agree with Butcherboy, give him a rest. Lots of play and chasing you about etc followed by quick retrieves, you can always work on re-steadying him later

Dan