the ladder traps( i think that is what you mean) are better off big,they will be flown better as the captive birds behave normally.other than that you can catch alot of crows in these things and the more fit in the better :clapper:

if lacking in height the crow can "jump" back out.

i would take the dimensions you have and a few pieces of 1x1,some chicken wire and off you go.

don't forget the door to remove the catch and i put about a foot of wire downwards at the ladder to make it harder for them to get out.

good luck.

the ladder traps( i think that is what you mean) are better off big,they will be flown better as the captive birds behave normally.other than that you can catch alot of crows in these things and the more fit in the better :clapper:

if lacking in height the crow can "jump" back out.

i would take the dimensions you have and a few pieces of 1x1,some chicken wire and off you go.

don't forget the door to remove the catch and i put about a foot of wire downwards at the ladder to make it harder for them to get out.

good luck.

And don't forgrt to only check and kill caught ones at night. "As sure as eggs is eggs" those clever b*****ds will be watching daytime and will stear clear.

hi ive seen some designs for crow traps they are all say 8x6x6 ft can they be made smaller? and i have seen a 8x6x6ft for sale on ebay for £275 and think they can definately be made alot cheaper or am i just kidding myself?

any advice welcome thanks

yes you can make them cheaper than that. The mesh will probably be the most expensive part but if you buy a roll in bulk there are a lot of good internet prices. For timber I use roofing lath which again is quite cheap if you buy it from a timber yard.

Obviously the more you scrounge or reuse the cheaper it is.

Chicken wire is too weak IMO. Cats will get in if they want, never mind larger animals wild or livestock.

If I was making one again I would make as much of it out of 2"x2" expanded metal (rigid wire mesh) as I could and cable tie it together. You may have to use roofing lath, as John said, to do the ladder section, I would use dowels for the rungs.

You'd then have a lightweight, quick to fabricate, easy to move, tough and long lasting trap.

Just my take on it :)

Edited by JohnGalway
i dont quite understand the concept of funnel traps on the ground i would have thought they could just walk out again? i know they work well when raised so they cant fly out the same principle as the ladder

They work because the crow must start to stoop down entering the funnel, but once he's inside he can't figure how to get back out. Even though the hole size is the same, there's no funnel structure on the inside of the trap to make him stoop down again and guide him out. The only thing which would worry me in that case of trap is the ease of entry for cats :angry:

jack6.jpg

better pic than your profile pic at least it doesnt endanger our sport

Mate don't worry about my profile pic, it obviously bothers you as you sent me a pm as well. In case you missed it its a SNARING, TRAPPING & PEST CONTROL FORUM and contains lots of pics of snared foxes if you bother to look around.

120-2

Edited by 120-2
let me know when you'vre built it, may be able to get you sheets of mesh 8'x4' 2"x2"

well im just buying bits and bobs at the moment i cant afford to do it all at once. anyway its a nice project to work on at the weekends take my time over it. thanks for the offer ill kep it in mind when i need some and give you a shout.

i really enjoyed making my pigeon trap this weekend out of scrap basically so if i can make a crow ladder trap to a good standard my step dad will b chuffed to be gtting rid of lots of corvids

all this help is brilliant thanks guys

This is mine, I use ground funnels as opposed to a ladder as Jackdaws escape form ladder traps. The ground funnels catch crows and rooks.

jack6.jpg

better pic than your profile pic at least it doesnt endanger our sport

the only thing that endangers your sport mate is not sticking together :feck:

i am my own person and do not follow like a sheep just did not like his pic makes fox control look cruel intead of just doing the job he takes photos and looks at it as a trophy pic quite sad really as i said people like that threaten hunting and when its gone thank him not resonsable people like most