Any ideas?

Right, during the season i get out with my terrier, my terrier/ spaniel and a couple of lurchers, cover hunting/bushing a couple of times a week.

I ve got some large areas of downs over which i can hunt, and after much deliberation, ive decided another terrier is needed to complete my little pack.Ive got the kennel space and the work needed for another dog.

So a couple of questions.

As i would prefer a dog/bitch of say 1-3 years of age to a pup, do you lads think that a terrier who has not made the grade below ground would suit my needs?

If so do any of you know of such an animal in need of a good working home(bushing and a little rating)

Although my terrier will give voice, the spaniel/terrier is Bedlington/springer and is totally mute which isnt ideal for the way i hunt and the ground i work,so any new addition would need to have plenty of voice.

Do you think then that a Russel would be the best option or would the other breeds be just as suitable.

Thanks in advance ;)

russels can be very vocal,but so can patterdales depending if you do a lot of bushing with the spaniel and want a buddy to work alongside the spaniel if you want an allround game little dog then a patterdale isnt a bad choice, me myself i have my border terrier bushing with the lurchers she does well but she aint very vocal in saying that she is great on marking and disposing of rats and does well on bunnies for marking both would make ideal companions but the borders are more quiet and dont venture to far away.

russels can be very vocal,but so can patterdales depending if you do a lot of bushing with the spaniel and want a buddy to work alongside the spaniel if you want an allround game little dog then a patterdale isnt a bad choice, me myself i have my border terrier bushing with the lurchers she does well but she aint very vocal in saying that she is great on marking and disposing of rats and does well on bunnies for marking both would make ideal companions but the borders are more quiet and dont venture to far away.

My current terrier is 3/4Pat 1/4 Border

Picture076.jpg

Heres a pick of her and my springer/bedlington

I do find the pat vocal :)

I really like borders but there just to pricey for me and everyone else i know with working dogs :(

Cheers for the advice Marko

Guest Ditch_Shitter
As i would prefer a dog/bitch of say 1-3 years of age to a pup, do you lads think that a terrier who has not made the grade below ground would suit my needs? Would need to have plenty of voice. Do you think then that a Russel would be the best option ....?

Yes! Absolutley. A terrier known to have 'Jibbed' is the best damn thing you could ever hope for, under your conditions. A Jack would be the best type to look for too.

Why do I say that? Well, One: Because I've been there. TWO: Because Jack's are often amongst the noisiest little b*stards there are. THREE: Because their predominantly white coats are a blessing when you're trying to keep a fix on them, in amongst those bramble patches. Snatching the odd glimpse of white is just easier than with black or tan.

Now your problem will be finding a well and truly jibbed Dog ~ one guaranteed not to find a damn hole amongst some huge cover and go disapearing down it, thus leaving you with a whole heap of pain ~ yet which some fanatical purist hasn't long since beaten to death with a spade.

I got lucky. I managed to find just such a Dog. And, by christ, then I started having some Real fun in my life! :D

Best of luck in your search, mate ;)

As i would prefer a dog/bitch of say 1-3 years of age to a pup, do you lads think that a terrier who has not made the grade below ground would suit my needs? Would need to have plenty of voice. Do you think then that a Russel would be the best option ....?

Yes! Absolutley. A terrier known to have 'Jibbed' is the best damn thing you could ever hope for, under your conditions. A Jack would be the best type to look for too.

Why do I say that? Well, One: Because I've been there. TWO: Because Jack's are often amongst the noisiest little b*stards there are. THREE: Because their predominantly white coats are a blessing when you're trying to keep a fix on them, in amongst those bramble patches. Snatching the odd glimpse of white is just easier than with black or tan.

Now your problem will be finding a well and truly jibbed Dog ~ one guaranteed not to find a damn hole amongst some huge cover and go disapearing down it, thus leaving you with a whole heap of pain ~ yet which some fanatical purist hasn't long since beaten to death with a spade.

I got lucky. I managed to find just such a Dog. And, by christ, then I started having some Real fun in my life! :D

Best of luck in your search, mate ;)

Cheers for the Advice DC :)

Thats pretty much the lines ive been thinking along myself.

Totally agree with you on the colour front.In january once all the bracken has died back it can be really dificult to spot the black or brown dogs at all!

I agree with the Russels voice to-perfect for my needs really.

My next problem is, all the guys i know who work their dogs have Fell types of one sort or another.I have to admit its been a long time since i saw anyone working Russels down my way :(

This is sad as the reverend himself hunted with my local pack,The Fourburrow, every year and ive read that a long extinct local type called the Scorrier hunt terrier was mixed in to his early stock.Scorrier is wher the Fourburrow kennels are an about a mile from my place.

Anyway the search goes on.

Agree with Nelson, a Beagle would be ideal and you would not need to worry about it going to ground !!! and they are very vocal.......

I do like the look of beagles but cant honestly say i know much about them.

I would have thought thet a cople or more though would be needed to give ther best performance in the field, is that right?

Guest Ditch_Shitter

Cornwall? Shouldn't have to go too far east then, mate. Be tripping over JRs ..... Well; That is unless things have changed dramatically in the last five years :unsure:

Beagles have the nose alright. But you'd want a Hunt bred one, I'd imagine? And I've just never personally heard of then crashing into bush. Maybe they do? I just grew up around JR's who entered bush like psychotic little tanks ~ as long as there was something in there for them to try and murder.

Heh. Almost makes me wish I had use for one round here. Man was trying to sell me one. No bushes here. No bloody rabbits either! :(