Dawn Stalk

I met FD at 5.45am this morning in what turned out to be a real pea-souper of a morning - the fog wasn't forecast and delayed the dawn light filtering through so we waited longer that originally planned for it to get remotely light enough. The patch we had intended to stalk was on quite low ground and the mist, all-be-it patchy and lifting slightly, was really limiting and would have hung around in the natural bowel the land contours made :wallbash: FD drove us to another piece of ground that was quite close by but a little higher where the fog, although lingering, was burning off. On the way we passed a small area relatively fog free, bordering a stubble field to the left and banking down to pasture on the right. A few hundered yards into this patch it became obvious that the mist was still edying and needed a bit longer to burn off so we followed our footsteps back and waited for a short while in a quarry for ten minutes or so which made a lot of difference as the mist had broken up and lifted considerably.

We approached the fence line bordering the stubble field spotted a nice young buck out on the stubble, standing broad side and staring in our direction although fortunatly a scrubby bit of hedge broke up our sihlouttes. I had the rifle was on the sticks but a patch of bush was in the way and in the time it took for me to re-position the bugger turned and trotted away. He stopped to a whistle and turned to give a semi broadside - quatering shot at around 90 yards which I took and he dropped on the spot. He was a nice buck and a good weight.

Before i get ribbed for the knife display (i know... almost a bad as putting a shell casing in a fox's mouth :yes::laugh: ) it was a recent gift from my old man and he wanted a pic of it 'in action'.

post-4425-1254165378.jpg

post-4425-1254165390.jpg

Thanks again FD for a quality stalk - hope to return the favour soon :victory:

Edited by Local

Pic's should be up now

Very well done Local mate................shell case in a foxes mouth...

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Learning from mistakes is a rough ride all right Martin mate :laugh: This pic wasn't intended to be trying to go one better but there you go ... it'll make my old man happy provided I don't leave the thing in the grass on my next outing and lose it :victory:

I had to prize the shell case out the deers mouth before the pic ,most unsporting i thought .lol.

To be fair you did warn me that i'd get some shit with that fox the other day... as you didn't say anything this time i'll just plead ignorance... i'm good at that :laugh: Seriously though he was a fine animal, that liver was excellent for breakfast :yes:

nice buck mate.

Out of curiosity, do you know where your old man got the knife from? Im after a fixed blade knife w/ guthook ;)

Cheers bud, the knife is a buck zipper so i'm sure they're 'available at most good gunshops or online sporting goods retailers' :thumbs:

nice buck mate.

Out of curiosity, do you know where your old man got the knife from? Im after a fixed blade knife w/ guthook ;)

Just found out my old man got the knife from these guys:

http://www.tactical-ops.co.uk/Items/191br?...0with%20Guthook

Although the company name makes them sound like joke apparently they are pretty good to deal with.

nice looking buck mate

cheers bud ;)