calling Muntjac with a Buttalo call

Hi all - am new to THL and am interested in any tips on woodland Muntjac stalking. Have had some success with a buttalo call, but don't really know how often and what sort of noise to make. i think i over did it a bit last time as although i called a buck in he seemed to pin point me by my constant calling before i saw him and then circled downwind of me and then ran. Is this typical, or was he just a savvy one? Any advice welcome Thanks

Hi all - am new to THL and am interested in any tips on woodland Muntjac stalking. Have had some success with a buttalo call, but don't really know how often and what sort of noise to make. i think i over did it a bit last time as although i called a buck in he seemed to pin point me by my constant calling before i saw him and then circled downwind of me and then ran. Is this typical, or was he just a savvy one? Any advice welcome Thanks

I'm no expert on calling them but I've had best results from calling in woods or on the edges of them-I watched a doe this morning moving along a hedge out in a field and tried the call but there was no response at all, they just don't seem to go for it out in the open. You can get them to run straight in to around 5 /10 yards inside woods at times. I use the buttolo (apparently the cherrywood call works as well but i've never tried it) and use the fie 3 second pause pattern that's in the sticky for calling roe at the top of the stalking section on here. I rarely get a result using the call in my pocket, in my limited calling experience they come best to a loud call, bucks and does both seem to come but the does really steam in and you have to be careful about what reproductive state they're in before shooting; you don't get long to make the judgement as they're straight in and gone again. The bucks tend to come in a lot more cautiously so wait for a good few minutes after calling as they may well be watching you. If i'm calling, i'll call for a while then move 1-200yds and try again. My best tip would be get your rifle on the sticks before you call as they just appear looking straight at you and they will be off as soon as they see you moving into position. Hope it helps a bit and let us know how you get on.

I'm no expert on calling them but I've had best results from calling in woods or on the edges of them-I watched a doe this morning moving along a hedge out in a field and tried the call but there was no response at all, they just don't seem to go for it out in the open. You can get them to run straight in to around 5 /10 yards inside woods at times. I use the buttolo (apparently the cherrywood call works as well but i've never tried it) and use the fie 3 second pause pattern that's in the sticky for calling roe at the top of the stalking section on here. I rarely get a result using the call in my pocket, in my limited calling experience they come best to a loud call, bucks and does both seem to come but the does really steam in and you have to be careful about what reproductive state they're in before shooting; you don't get long to make the judgement as they're straight in and gone again. The bucks tend to come in a lot more cautiously so wait for a good few minutes after calling as they may well be watching you. If i'm calling, i'll call for a while then move 1-200yds and try again. My best tip would be get your rifle on the sticks before you call as they just appear looking straight at you and they will be off as soon as they see you moving into position. Hope it helps a bit and let us know how you get on.

Thanks Murph - will let you know how i get on - am planning a morning stalk on Sunday....

Cheers

Only use the 1st stage to imitate a fawn/kid, the 2nd stage is the terror cry and won't get them running in to see what the danger is. The call isn't that short, it lasts about a second i'd guess. I'd be interested to know how other people get on with the calling as it's all self taught at my end, there's probably better methods but no-one seems to know that much about it and if they do they don't let on their secrets. I asked the same type of questions being asked here but went out and learnt by trial and error in the end as no-one seemed to know what they were talking about, either that or they were keeping quiet.

Edited by Murph
Only use the 1st stage to imitate a fawn/kid, the 2nd stage is the terror cry and won't get them running in to see what the danger is. The call isn't that short, it lasts about a second i'd guess. I'd be interested to know how other people get on with the calling as it's all self taught at my end, there's probably better methods but no-one seems to know that much about it and if they do they don't let on their secrets. I asked the same type of questions being asked here but went out and learnt by trial and error in the end as no-one seemed to know what they were talking about, either that or they were keeping quiet.

Cheers, I had been told not to use the second stage before on roe but I didn't know about muntjac, I'll give it a go. Why would you then use the second stage, to delay them if they're running off?

Cheers, I had been told not to use the second stage before on roe but I didn't know about muntjac, I'll give it a go. Why would you then use the second stage, to delay them if they're running off?

That's what i'd use it for on Roe but never had it work on a muntjac so now I just watch them moving off in the scope so i'm ready if they stop to bark at you, they often show enough of themselves for a shot as they turn before the bark.

I tried the technique that you suggested Murph and also some of my own made up method - both at the weekend. My method which bought in a lovely buck (but could not get a shot) was what has been described by a friend of mine as the Roe rape call (his words not mine!). It only seems to work on bucks; although does do tend to hang about, if not get any closer. The so called rape call is made by compressing the last third of the bulb - ie you've had the fie sound and then as you collpase the bulb completely you get what is best described as "honk".

The best sound which seemd to drive my buck mad was a short shrill fiep going into the honk in one push of the bulb which was repeated at about a 2-3 second interval and which lasted for 10 or so repeats.

My thoughts on the way he was responding was that he thought that something (a Roe buck or even another Muntjac who knows - note that there are no Roe on my ground so i doubt he knew exactly what it was) was having his wicked way and he wasn't going to let it happen unchallenged. He was definately trying to get down wind of me, but each time he tried to move i did the call again and he came back to where he could see me. Unfortunately i had my sticks facing the wrong way and he ran tail up when i moved too suddenly, but i'd say that for a buck this technique is worth a go.

When i tried your technique Murph i called something in (couldn't see as the cover is still quite dense) but i could hear that it was a Muntjac by its stabbing (cautious) footsteps in the leaf litter. When i tried my Buck call described above nothing further happened and eventually it all went quiet so i assume whatever it was wandered off.

Now i'm not claiming to have a foolroof method based on just one happening, but it does seem that when you get the sound right you can get a buck very interested - just need to find something similar for the does. I'll let you know if i can repeat my initial "success" and if i can then maybe it'd be worth more people trying?

All the best

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...