i had a dog which was epileptic, starts with over excitment then keeled over. took a couple of minutes(normally he would wet himself in this time) then he would shake and scramble up to his feet with a look that said" what in the name of f@@@ was that"!!

it sounds silly but he would be very pale( around the eyes,lips and ears).after a fit he would sleep for a couple of hours and all was well.

does that sound anything like yours??

if not it could be a slipped disc/trapped nerve?

good luck in finding the cause.

i had a dog which was epileptic, starts with over excitment then keeled over. took a couple of minutes(normally he would wet himself in this time) then he would shake and scramble up to his feet with a look that said" what in the name of f@@@ was that"!!

it sounds silly but he would be very pale( around the eyes,lips and ears).after a fit he would sleep for a couple of hours and all was well.

does that sound anything like yours??

if not it could be a slipped disc/trapped nerve?

good luck in finding the cause.

I could be excitment/adrenaline which is triggering this. She bunches up before she starts proper fitting then falls over and looks as though she's trying to get up frantically but can't. She dribbles when fitting but not yet wet her self. I checked her gums both times and loads of colour in them still. Her breathing is SOOO heavy during and for about 10 mins after the fit. Then she is knackered from it.

What other symptoms are there for epilepsy?

Thanks for your reply

have a read here

http://www.k9web.com/dog-faqs/medical/epilepsy.html

i have also herd of people using magnetic collars with a very good success rate although it seems to be sever cases.

fits can some times be a sign of an underlying problem so it might be worth getting the dog an MOT,i don't want to worry you but I'm not a vet so cant say 100% its epilepsy.

There is a condition called "CECS" that can affect dogs, its NOT breed specific but has been seen in Borders, more likely you have heard of it in Borders because its Border breeders and enthusiasts that are doing something about it and not ignoring it!

The dog in questions does NOT sound like a CECS dog, it sounds like an Epileptic dog, either way none of us are Vets and it would be wrong to speculate and diagnose a dogs illness when none of us are qualified to do so.

There is a condition called "CECS" that can affect dogs, its NOT breed specific but has been seen in Borders, more likely you have heard of it in Borders because its Border breeders and enthusiasts that are doing something about it and not ignoring it!

The dog in questions does NOT sound like a CECS dog, it sounds like an Epileptic dog, either way none of us are Vets and it would be wrong to speculate and diagnose a dogs illness when none of us are qualified to do so.

I dont see that anyone was trying to diagnose the dog here?I think all were trying to do or certainly i am trying to do is offer help in either preventing it or controlling it.Most vets wont take it seriously unless the dogs having a lot of fits in a pattern type idea some sort of order as the meds a vet gives are dangerous for other organs and the risks far outweigh the benefits

Guest foxyjo.

My terrier fits, or has siezures...

he has been run over which is what I put it down to, as there was never a problem before. It started when he was about 5 years old and he's now nearly 9. The vets seem to think they can only diagnose it if they either see him whilst he's fitting (impossible as it lasts about 10 minutes), or I have numerous tests performed. It happens about once every 6 months and he has all of the symptoms you describe, going rigid, falling over, scraping his back legs, but his breathing gets quite fast and he is also dirty. he also appears to grin manicaly, which is obviously muscle tension.

I find it quite frightening and the last time was convinced he was on his way out. Afterwards he seems exhausted and sleeps deeply.

Could it be that your terrier has also had some bump, as others have suggested, as I'm convinced this is what has started it in mine? nothing seems to trigger it, not excusion or heat. I take my terrier into our "dog room" when it starts and put him on the floor, so he has space, put the other dogs through into the rest of the house so he has peace, and just sit with him and talk quietly to him. I do give him a stroke, but I know the vets advise against this in case they accidentally bite you.

I'm not sure how much help this has been, but I wish you all the best with getting to the bottom of it. :)

Edited to add - he is a jack russell with a dash of working yorkie about 4 generations back.

Edited by foxyjo.

A couple of questions spring to mind:

How does this dog go about its work when it gets fits in intense situations

Why continue to feed biscuit, when it has no trouble with raw flesh but struggles with dry

My own personal opinion would be, if the fits continue or become more frequent I would put to sleep........I would not want any dog to have to live a life supported by drugs or not 100%.

I would not consider it fair, but that is JMHO

Edited by WILF
A couple of questions spring to mind:

How does this dog go about its work when it gets fits in intense situations

Why continue to feed biscuit, when it has no trouble with raw flesh but struggles with dry

My own personal opinion would be, if the fits continue or become more frequent I would put to sleep........I would not want any dog to have to live a life supported by drugs or not 100%.

I would not consider it fair, but that is JMHO

I see what you mean about doing the right thing...but my question basically was can a dog JUST have a fit (or two?) and that be the end of it? Or DO they become really frewuent? Will she go the rest of her life without another one? I completely agree that should they become frequent then yes I dont see it being fair on the dog especially giving it drugs which can do more harm than good so yes if the time came I would do the right thing. But now, she hasn't had another one since and i sincerely hope thats the last....but i just wondered is it? As for the meat I get given loads of chicken from my butchers for nish...and as I say she's allergic to it...make her itch herself raw...but don't often get given many other meats.

My terrier fits, or has siezures...

he has been run over which is what I put it down to, as there was never a problem before. It started when he was about 5 years old and he's now nearly 9. The vets seem to think they can only diagnose it if they either see him whilst he's fitting (impossible as it lasts about 10 minutes), or I have numerous tests performed. It happens about once every 6 months and he has all of the symptoms you describe, going rigid, falling over, scraping his back legs, but his breathing gets quite fast and he is also dirty. he also appears to grin manicaly, which is obviously muscle tension.

I find it quite frightening and the last time was convinced he was on his way out. Afterwards he seems exhausted and sleeps deeply.

Could it be that your terrier has also had some bump, as others have suggested, as I'm convinced this is what has started it in mine? nothing seems to trigger it, not excusion or heat. I take my terrier into our "dog room" when it starts and put him on the floor, so he has space, put the other dogs through into the rest of the house so he has peace, and just sit with him and talk quietly to him. I do give him a stroke, but I know the vets advise against this in case they accidentally bite you.

I'm not sure how much help this has been, but I wish you all the best with getting to the bottom of it. :)

Edited to add - he is a jack russell with a dash of working yorkie about 4 generations back.

Thanks for the reply.

She hasn't had any bang to the head that i know of...