Lets see your barf dogs!

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Speaking from a coursing side of things i dont think barf diet works , i watched a dog run fed this way and it started of well , its condition was good , but it seemed to lose its spark as the season went on , infact it went flat as a fart , its sister which i own was fed on dry & meat mixed with suplements etc etc , and she finished the season very strong .

I think you can get your dog fit on a barf diet , but you cant keep it fit ...

I no people will say its what they eat in the wild , but wild dogs eat a lot more than bones and meat , when wild animals make a kill they will gorge on a big kill and hang around it untill its time to make another kill ....

Were as we feed our dogs small amounts of food , and give them lots of exercize , this they wouldnt do in the wild ,

this is the reason i think dogs go flat on the barf diet , there isnt enough in it to maintain the high level of fitness.. ....

my mate runs his bull x dogs on nothing but barf and his dogs always look in very good condition , so it might work for lamp dogs i cant really say , but it doesnt work for coursing dogs that get jogged every night and have the long runs that the lamp dogs dont , this is just my opinion on what i have seen ...............

Interesting opinion :hmm:

The BARF diet seems lacking in carbs, its mainly protein and fat.

Does a dog need carbs in its diet?

I cant think where wild dogs and wolves obtain carbohydrates?

Speaking from a coursing side of things i dont think barf diet works , i watched a dog run fed this way and it started of well , its condition was good , but it seemed to lose its spark as the season went on , infact it went flat as a fart , its sister which i own was fed on dry & meat mixed with suplements etc etc , and she finished the season very strong .

I think you can get your dog fit on a barf diet , but you cant keep it fit ...

I no people will say its what they eat in the wild , but wild dogs eat a lot more than bones and meat , when wild animals make a kill they will gorge on a big kill and hang around it untill its time to make another kill ....

Were as we feed our dogs small amounts of food , and give them lots of exercize , this they wouldnt do in the wild ,

this is the reason i think dogs go flat on the barf diet , there isnt enough in it to maintain the high level of fitness.. ....

my mate runs his bull x dogs on nothing but barf and his dogs always look in very good condition , so it might work for lamp dogs i cant really say , but it doesnt work for coursing dogs that get jogged every night and have the long runs that the lamp dogs dont , this is just my opinion on what i have seen ...............

Interesting opinion :hmm:

The BARF diet seems lacking in carbs, its mainly protein and fat.

Does a dog need carbs in its diet?

I cant think where wild dogs and wolves obtain carbohydrates?

taken from an interesting article -

Proteins are the building blocks of muscle and should not be a major source of energy.

Animal source proteins (chicken, beef, lamb, egg, etc.) are preferred and often offer increased

digestibility with a good amino acid balance. Diets low in protein have been associated with

increased injuries. A working dog diet should have a minimum 26% protein. For hard

working dogs, diets containing 30-40% protein are even better. The goal is to spare the use of

protein as an energy source so it can be used to build muscle mass and repair muscle

damage.

In summary, working dogs should be fed a diet high in fat to optimize energy availability

and high in protein to protect against injury. Carbohydrates should be supplemented at

appropriate times to improve their storage. Remember, feed for energy and you will have

energetic dogs.

Author’s note: I am frequently asked what and how I feed my dogs. I feed a quality

performance kibble that is 32% protein and 21% fat. I add a balanced fat supplement so that

total calories from fat range from 50-55%. Approximately 13-18% calories are from

carbohydrates. I adjust the total amount fed based on the dog’s activity and body condition.

(Beware, feeding a high energy diet can lead to obesity if one is not monitoring the dog’s

body condition on a regular basis.) I give a maltodextrin supplement after working. I give

500mg Vitamin E, 500mg l-carnitine and 400mg glucosamine daily.

RAW TURKEY NECK'S made a friend's LURCHER in great shape' best protien source to get a dog in shape' And if you want to put weight on a dog then go for LAMB BREAST

Got to agree with the lamb bit rough coated, as my bull lurcher is renowned for losing condition through the hard work, and the only thing to bring it back sharp is plenty of lamb.... but the lamb i get has a high fat content too, compared with the usual rabbit and venison etc...

Edited by dogs-n-natives

i feed all my dogs on raw meat and raw meaty bones, i add a dried food that contains no carbs, just 70% meat 30%fruit and veg,, they look grand on it

DSC04609-1.jpg

in regards to does a dog need carbs, where would a wolf find pasta, rice, grain etc he wouldn't simple

i recomend barf all the way helps the dog stay content and happy, puts the weight on and keeps the weight on them after they've worked hard, no more smelly breath, shiny coat, clean teeth, healthy skin,,,,

all in all a healthy dog what more do you want

Heres a few of mine.all fed on a varied diet. ;) BARF and beta greyhound for the older ones and beta puppy for the young uns. :clapper: ya cannot go wrong with beta imo does a terrific job of dogs,especially pups, they look superb on it. :D Mine are fed on whatever they catch, obviously only which is edible. :yes:

GYSPY-23SEPTEMBER2009002.jpg

PUPS-7WEEKS6DAYS222.jpg

DUTCH-7WEEKS5DAYSOLD013.jpg

PUPS-7WEEKSOLD214.jpg

PUPS-5WEEKS6DAYSOLD216.jpg

PUPS-5WEEKS6DAYSOLD212.jpg

PUPS-5WEEKS6DAYSOLD211.jpg

PUPS5WEEKS2DAYSOLD002.jpg

All pups in my hands are under 5 weeks. showing their nice big healthy pups. ;)