SACS PHOTOGRAPHY COMPETITION 2009

Scottish Association for Country Sports

Photographic Competition 2009

We know that some of our members are excellent photographers – but can they beat all-comers in open competition? We are proud to announce the launch our 2009 photographic competition – open to members and non-members alike.

First Prize in the competition is £500, second prize £250, and third prize £100. Winning photographs may be used as front covers in the SACS magazine and elsewhere, and full publicity will be given both in our magazine and anywhere else they are used.

The competition will be judged by a completely independent panel appointed by the SACS Management Committee for the purpose, and their decision will be final. Details of the winners will be published in the following issue of the SACS magazine and elsewhere.

The rules are simple:

Entry to the competition is free – just send your photograph by email or post to us, clearly marked ‘Photographic Competition’, with your name, address and a contact telephone number.

All photographs received will be acknowledged by email or post as appropriate. If you send an actual photograph and would like to have it returned, please enclose a suitable stamped addressed envelope.

To qualify for entry, the subject of the photograph must have an obvious connection with a country sport which was legal at the time the photograph was taken.

Photographs entered must not have previously been published, and by entering a photograph in the competition, you agree to allow SACS to use the photograph, at our discretion, at any time in the future.

Send your photos by post to:

SACS

Netherholm

Netherburn

LARKHALL

ML9 3DG

Or by email to sacs@netherholm.sol.co.uk

The closing date for entry is 31 December 2009, and any photographs received after this date will not be entered.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We know that some of our members are excellent photographers – but can they beat all-comers in open competition? We are proud to announce the launch our 2009 photographic competition – open to members and non-members alike.

First Prize in the competition is £500, second prize £250, and third prize £100. Winning photographs may be used as front covers in the SACS magazine and elsewhere, and full publicity will be given both in our magazine and anywhere else they are used.

The competition will be judged by a completely independent panel appointed by the SACS Management Committee for the purpose, and their decision will be final. Details of the winners will be published in the following issue of the SACS magazine and elsewhere.

The rules are simple:

Entry to the competition is free – just send your photograph by email or post to us, clearly marked ‘Photographic Competition’, with your name, address and a contact telephone number.

All photographs received will be acknowledged by email or post as appropriate. If you send an actual photograph and would like to have it returned, please enclose a suitable stamped addressed envelope.

To qualify for entry, the subject of the photograph must have an obvious connection with a country sport which was legal at the time the photograph was taken.

Photographs entered must not have previously been published, and by entering a photograph in the competition, you agree to allow SACS to use the photograph, at our discretion, at any time in the future.

SACS

Netherholm

Netherburn

LARKHALL

ML9 3DG

The closing date for entry is 31 December 2009, and any photographs received after this date will not be entered.

your terms are not satisfactory. They allow you to sell the image, and that is not acceptable to any photographer, whether professional or amateur. i will be sending details to the EPUK" unfair competition grab" website for adding to their database.

The rules are simple:

SACS

Netherholm

Netherburn

LARKHALL

ML9 3DG

your terms are not satisfactory. They allow you to sell the image, and that is not acceptable to any photographer, whether professional or amateur. i will be sending details to the EPUK" unfair competition grab" website for adding to their database.

nobody is forcing you to enter ;)

Happens with a lot of competitions though... the BBC used to be one of the worst offenders :o I guess for the competition organisers it's a great way to get thousands of images for free...

Most people are so thrilled to see their photos in magazines that they don't consider what effect this kind of rights grabbing has on pro photographers who are trying to make a living from selling photos... :(

The rules are simple:

SACS

Netherholm

Netherburn

LARKHALL

ML9 3DG

Better to point out these things than people be taken in and misled. Imagine you take the winning photo, and you find it plastered all over advertising their products/services whatever, but you cannot claim anything from it all, ever!

The rules are simple:

SACS

Netherholm

Netherburn

LARKHALL

ML9 3DG

Better to point out these things than people be taken in and misled. Imagine you take the winning photo, and you find it plastered all over advertising their products/services whatever, but you cannot claim anything from it all, ever!

yes, but i think reporting it to some website or other is a bit OTT, i realised as soon as i read it this was the case but i dont think the idea of the comp is to make money out of your pics, more so they can use the good pics for promoting their organisation, which i cant really see a problem with :)

The rules are simple:

SACS

Netherholm

Netherburn

LARKHALL

ML9 3DG

yes, but i think reporting it to some website or other is a bit OTT, i realised as soon as i read it this was the case but i dont think the idea of the comp is to make money out of your pics, more so they can use the good pics for promoting their organisation, which i cant really see a problem with :)

So it's ok for us to spend thousands of pounds on photography equipment enter a photo into a competition for the organisers to profit from??

The way it's worded they have the right to use any of the entered images as they wish not just the winning photo.

Totally unacceptable

A great way to get thousands of free photo's for there magazine and advertising though.... at the photographers expense

Edited by mally
I understand the terms of the comp, no problem at all with the fact that they can use one of my pics if they wish, me thinks that one needs to dismount from your high horse and take a wee chill pill, far more crap going on in our sport to worry about this. :thumbs:

not when its your profession and your living mate!!!

I understand the terms of the comp, no problem at all with the fact that they can use one of my pics if they wish, me thinks that one needs to dismount from your high horse and take a wee chill pill, far more crap going on in our sport to worry about this. :thumbs:

Sorry guys - maybe someone got the wrong end of the stick here - it's a genuine competition, intended for amateurs for a bit of fun, and that's all. The fact that we want to be able to use the pics in our magazine is made clear, and I think the kind of people who will enter the competition will be pleased by that thought. We don't want the sole copyright of these pics - just permission to use them them if they are good enough. Without that, we couldn't run the competition or even publish the winning pics.

It's being publicised in schools all over the place to get youngsters interested as well, and we have some great pics from the kids already.

The answer to the copyright issue is already mentioned above - if any pro or semi-pro photographer is looking to sell their photographs for big money, don't enter them in the competition.

Hope that helps

The rules are simple:

SACS

Netherholm

Netherburn

LARKHALL

ML9 3DG

So it's ok for us to spend thousands of pounds on photography equipment enter a photo into a competition for the organisers to profit from??

The way it's worded they have the right to use any of the entered images as they wish not just the winning photo.

Totally unacceptable

A great way to get thousands of free photo's for there magazine and advertising though.... at the photographers expense

you would have to be pretty thick not to understand the T's & C's, if you dont agree with it dont enter :wallbash:

Sorry guys - maybe someone got the wrong end of the stick here - it's a genuine competition, intended for amateurs for a bit of fun, and that's all. The fact that we want to be able to use the pics in our magazine is made clear, and I think the kind of people who will enter the competition will be pleased by that thought. We don't want the sole copyright of these pics - just permission to use them them if they are good enough. Without that, we couldn't run the competition or even publish the winning pics.

It's being publicised in schools all over the place to get youngsters interested as well, and we have some great pics from the kids already.

The answer to the copyright issue is already mentioned above - if any pro or semi-pro photographer is looking to sell their photographs for big money, don't enter them in the competition.

Hope that helps

I think the problem is here"Photographs entered must not have previously been published, and by entering a photograph in the competition, you agree to allow SACS to use the photograph, at our discretion, at any time in the future."

Its irellevant whether pro or amateur......its a moral right.

Dear Mr Clark,

Invitation from the Bill of Rights Supporters Group

The Bill of Rights Supporters group was formed by organisations who came together to support the Bill of Rights for Photography Competitions.

We are aware that your organisation has organised photography competitions and we have written to you to ask you to consider joining the Bill of Rights Supporters Group.

The Bill of Rights for Photography Competitions is a set of standards for photography competition's terms and conditions regarding the treatment of entrants rights. Bill of Rights Supporters understake only to organise and sponsor photography competitions that meet all the standards set out in the Bill of Rights for Photography Competitions.

Each member of the supporters group enjoys the following benefits -

* Their organisation is promoted worldwide on the The Bill of Rights Supporters List

* Every competition a supporter organises is promoted worldwide on the Rights On List

* Each supporter has the the right to use the Bill of Rights Supporters logo to promote both their organisation and their photography competitions.

The following links will take you to further details of the scheme;

The Bill of Rights for Photography Competitions

The Bill of Rights Supporters

Bill of Rights Supporters logo

As a photographic competition organiser we do hope you will accept this invitation to enjoy the above benefits. We wish to assure you that there are no fees to pay to be a member of the supporters group. If you have any questions or concerns we will be very happy to discuss them with you. All discussions are held in the strictest confidence.

We look forward to your reply in due course and if you decide to join we will be delighted to welcome you to our group.

Kind egards

On behalf of the Bill of Rights Supporters Group

Hope that helps

I think the problem is here"Photographs entered must not have previously been published, and by entering a photograph in the competition, you agree to allow SACS to use the photograph, at our discretion, at any time in the future."

Dear Mr Clark,

The Bill of Rights Supporters group was formed by organisations who came together to support the Bill of Rights for Photography Competitions.

We are aware that your organisation has organised photography competitions and we have written to you to ask you to consider joining the Bill of Rights Supporters Group.

The Bill of Rights for Photography Competitions is a set of standards for photography competition's terms and conditions regarding the treatment of entrants rights. Bill of Rights Supporters understake only to organise and sponsor photography competitions that meet all the standards set out in the Bill of Rights for Photography Competitions.

* Their organisation is promoted worldwide on the The Bill of Rights Supporters List

* Every competition a supporter organises is promoted worldwide on the Rights On List

* Each supporter has the the right to use the Bill of Rights Supporters logo to promote both their organisation and their photography competitions.

As a photographic competition organiser we do hope you will accept this invitation to enjoy the above benefits. We wish to assure you that there are no fees to pay to be a member of the supporters group. If you have any questions or concerns we will be very happy to discuss them with you. All discussions are held in the strictest confidence.

We look forward to your reply in due course and if you decide to join we will be delighted to welcome you to our group.

Kind egards

looks like loads of free publicity world wide against having hundreds of photo's to use as you wish...which akes most money lol?

the wording is a bit send us free pics...end of the day if it's just for the mag then probably ok, but to use as we wish is sort of sounding like a scam.... maybe a defined reword?

or like it and lump it lol...................

Hope that helps

Dear Mr Clark,

Kind egards

Bully tatics.