Long netting

Iv been ferreting for a number of years now but iv never used a long net.

that will be changing this season as iv just bought a traditional long net but i was wondering does it have to be set in a strait line or can it be set at a right angle ect ?

many thanks

Ricky

Ricky

get a video/dvd (unless you can find someone to show you) i watched Mick Mansbridge "Rabbiting just some of the methods" (my wife bought me it the same xmas she bought me the longnet, should have seen the in-laws face's on xmas day :11: )

he demonstrates how to set it in a straight line and in circles, i use my 100yarder in circles like he demonstrated and it works wonders, on certain warrens it saves you a lot of time setting 50 purse nets, i have a few warrens that are about 50-75 holers in open meadow and not too far from the main warrens in hedges, the rabbits tend to bolt straight towards the hedge and straight into the net :):D

obviously though if the warren is very big, you may need smaller longnets to criss cross the warren to stop them bolting hole to hole, you can also use longnets in straight lines parrallel to a hedge and have smaller stop nets through the hedge (i have two that are about 12 feet long and are great for intersecting hedges/butting up to fence lines etc..)

Good luck practise makes perfect, let us know how you get on

Compo