Kennel Cough

After being let down by a friend to look after my 10 month old Patterdale, I had no other option than to put him into a kennels while I went to the Great Dorset Steam Fair.

I was disgusted with the service me and my dog were given and subsequently arranged for my sister to collect him before 28 hours after. However, he caught kennel cough I know a lot of you will be thinking ' you should have given him a booster jab' but I honestly did not have the chance I was let down the night before I went away.

After taking Digby to the vets, giving him a jab and a course of anit-biotics a few people have said that home cures such as honey and lemon throat syrups work just as well. Is this true? Just for my own knowledge.

I know alot of thinking is against annual boosters.apparently dogs in the USA are tested to see if they need the boosters before theyre given to them (titres?)

I dont personally give the Springers any boosters for Kennel cough,mainly because one dog proved very allergic to the last injection and I'm worried that the next reaction could be more serious/fatal.

The other reason is that when I do go away I have a girl who lives on a farm to take them so they're not actually cooped up in kennels all day.

If they do get a mild cough I use Nelsons Sootha Homeopathic cough med for childrenWee bit embarrassing when i went into the chemists and they asked me what age the child was!!!

There are a couple of good books from Country Books Direct,Essential Care for Dogs and Essential Care in the Field both by Jackie Drakeford.

ATB Lucy

Whats the point in slating the lad, its done, he put the dog in kennells and the dog has cough, thats why this site is gone to s h i t lately everyone voicing their opinions of the owners when the dogs in need of some help.

This is something ive used and it really does work well.

Get a bottle of honey, glycerine and lemon from your chemist, add to this a cap full of TCP and shake well, give a 5 ml syringe to the dog 3 times a day for aslong as is needed, also if the dog is in a kennel get some large onions(spanish) and roughly chop them up put them in the net and hang in the sleeping quaters, the acid from the onion helps kill of the airbourne infection.

Hope this helps.

Whats the point in slating the lad, its done, he put the dog in kennells and the dog has cough, thats why this site is gone to s h i t lately everyone voicing their opinions of the owners when the dogs in need of some help.

Hang on your saying I shouldnt of said what I said? So somebody else cant learn from his mistake? The most probable reason why you think this forum has gone s h it is because people like you slating people who have an opinion.

He said he didnt like the way they were treated and got a relative to pick the dog up later, if I got treated wrongly that way I would of turned away. Its now the dog that is suffering and I hope he gets better. The best you can do is make him as comfortable as possable and make sure he is eating and drinking.

Edited by dustyfox

How serious is kennel cough to a healthy dog really? I booked mine into a reputable local kennel. I was very impressed with the security and cleanliness. They said it was upto to the individual whether or not they had their dogs injected for kennel cough because there are so many strains of it around. They did however insist on the usual annual vaccinations being up to date.

Hang on your saying I shouldnt of said what I said? So somebody else cant learn from his mistake? The most probable reason why you think this forum has gone s h it is because people like you slating people who have an opinion.

He said he didnt like the way they were treated and got a relative to pick the dog up later, if I got treated wrongly that way I would of turned away. Its now the dog that is suffering and I hope he gets better. The best you can do is make him as comfortable as possable and make sure he is eating and drinking.

Yes the dogs the one suffering and what did you do to help??? Nothing.

Opinions are like assholes everyone has one.

this is why I always hesitate about posting on here! You can't just ask a simple question without someone having to have a go, I did everything that I could and got him out of there asap perhaps I am over sensitive and he would have been ok there, but following his stay I have sought action against the kennels.

So thank you everyone except (dustyfox) for your time and maturity in this post your advice has been taken into consideration :D

Mine lives indoors and caught kennel cough :/ seems to be aload of dogs with it in my area including the neighbours dogs on both sides so guessing he picked it up from them. Was coughing up white flem for a day, i done the steam room job just once and its more aless gone.

this is why I always hesitate about posting on here! You can't just ask a simple question without someone having to have a go, I did everything that I could and got him out of there asap perhaps I am over sensitive and he would have been ok there, but following his stay I have sought action against the kennels.

So thank you everyone except (dustyfox) for your time and maturity in this post your advice has been taken into consideration :D

And what action against the kennel you gonna take? You put him in there and thought to yourself that it wasnt right before you did, then you must of got bored of your steam trains and got someone to pick him up. If you had maturity you wouldnt of put him in there if you had a sense something wasnt right. Your dog is probably going to infect other dogs it comes into contact within the next 3 months, so congratulations.