Out last night

Went out for an hour last night with my three year old bitch.

Getting fed up with all the road walking and seeing as weve had about a foot of rain down here in the last 24 hours i thought the ground would be soft enough for a run or two.Theres no substitute for actual work in getting a dog really fit IMO.

Anyway wasnt out long,she ran five and picked up three,which i was well chuffed with for her first night back :)

Picture088.jpg

Picture087.jpg

Might be a bit early for some but im glad i went out, seeing her run in that beam again really got my heart racing and filled me with anticipation for the coming season.

Just got to get the pup going aswell now!

Picture020.jpg

Hows the ground around you and when will you all be starting?

Just starting to take mine out now countryman. Is it raining down there now? they've been keeping on with severe weather warnings all day.

Regards Rob

Just had a hell of a downpour go over,think weve had about 25/30mm today! I can fell the ground soaking it up like a sponge,at last.

Has it made its way up to Somerset yet?

Know what you mean Countryman. I had the lamp out other weekend, just to shoot some feral pigeons in the barns, but had to have a quick peek over the nearest fields.

But the strapping the batteries on, lurchers getting all excited, and the heat from the lamp in my hand....things like that you forget about, its wonderful feeling, gets you all excited.

MOLL.

Guest Top Chalker
At the end of the day lad's as far as ground goes you can run them on concrete and bone dry plough which i have done on load's of occasions over the year's.... by mistake of coarse.. :whistle: ..

But the dog's who do it need to have good feet..i could not be arsed waiting for the rain every time i wanted to go out.. otherwise i would only out twice a month untill the weather changed.

M

What a crock of shit , running any dog on hard ground will f**k its feet up , good feet will soon be bad feet running on hard ground ,

Lurcherman, what bit of this drabble was a fair point ???

ASD was spot on , thats why his dog is 10 and still running ,

Does Millet translate to brain dead :D:D ???????????

Millet, do u have any old dogs

Guest whitser

surely if a dog is well made and conditioned it can run any where its game can go. look at the salukis and sloughis and other breeds from these regions they run on the hardest driest ground you can get. they have no winter really so the ground is like that all year round. i think a lot of foot injurys are down to the make up of the dog how its conditioned etc not just the fact that the ground is hard. personally i dont lamp in the summer cos its a bit too hot and to give the game a break. you can get hard ground in the winter as well it depends on the soil.