picking up new ferret today but......

Alright lads im picking up a new poley jill today from my step brother who doesn't care for her anymore :realmad: . when he first got her she was very tame and he handled her about an hour a day. then she got out from her cage for a day or two and was found in a cereal box eatin old cornflakes :blink: . he went to pick her up and she went mental wouldn let go of him at all. now everytime you go to pick her out of her cage she jumps out and tries to bite. so any tips on how to get her tame would be appreciated

many thanks

staffy-1 :ph34r: :D

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A lot of handling and a lot of plasters if she is really that aggressive :11: Seriously though try her after she has been fed and is a little more docile. I personally don't agree with flicking or hitting ferrets when they nip or bite, I make a sharp noise at mine which seems to do the trick. Unfortunately whatever she experienced outside of her hutch has had a detrimental affect on herand you will have to gain her trust all over again......Good luck

Guest ferret

get yourself a good pair of welding gloves and handle the ferret as much as you can with these on for a good while,just build up enough trust for you and the ferret,it has to know that you are not food and in any way a threat,i have one at the moment,she is three years old ,at home you can literally do anything with the ferret but once it has the taste of a rabbit kill,the damn thing goes beserk,she is a brilliant working ferret and i can put up with the odd temper i know exactly when she is going to bite so gloves go on,all the best

Guest markbrick1
get yourself a good pair of welding gloves and handle the ferret as much as you can with these on for a good while,just build up enough trust for you and the ferret,it has to know that you are not food and in any way a threat,i have one at the moment,she is three years old ,at home you can literally do anything with the ferret but once it has the taste of a rabbit kill,the damn thing goes beserk,she is a brilliant working ferret and i can put up with the odd temper i know exactly when she is going to bite so gloves go on,all the best

welding cloves ?????????

Dont agree with knocking a healthy ferret on the head guys :no::no:

Give her a chance staffy-1 and with a bit of time and patience and it can be done.

She has obviously had some bad experiences with humans or picked up incorrectly and it is a matter of gaining her trust back

Get yourself a "jif" lemon squezy from your local supermarket and as she goes to bite you just squeze a little drop into her mouth, it won't hurt her at all but she will definitely think twice about biting again!

Have used this little trick on many occasions on serial biters like yours and it works for me.

It just leaves them wondering what the hell happened and a nasty taste in the mouth.

Regards FT :diablo: