Sheep

Does anyone know what the law is on sheep in a forest,we have loads of sheep in one of forests and dont know what to do about them as they can totaly screw up your stalk .We have approched the farmer several time with no joy I would love to just shoot them but have been told that its against the law

So he's got sheep on land thats not his? I wouldn't recommend shooting them, tell him if he doesn't want the sheep I'll have them, I'll bring round the sheepdogs asap. How many is there approx? If it's really Sh*tting things up you could always try the national sheep association or NFU.

not too mention parasites they bring with them.who owns the wood? do you pay to shoot it?

european law says it would be illegal to damage someones animal. if however this person has given up on trying to retrieve it or the recapture is very unlikely it is to be seen as owner less( therefore as a permission holder/occupier you may do with it as you see fit)

just as this applies, so does the fact that these sheep are causing damage to someone elses property and as such you can endever to reduce/stop this by removing the sheep.

just because it is so in europe does not mean it is so here. check with the owner and the council/citezans advice beuro before dropping yourself in it.

some landowners may have old rights to use woodlands for grazing(cattle,sheep,pigs).

let us know how you get on.

not too mention parasites they bring with them.who owns the wood? do you pay to shoot it?

european law says it would be illegal to damage someones animal. if however this person has given up on trying to retrieve it or the recapture is very unlikely it is to be seen as owner less( therefore as a permission holder/occupier you may do with it as you see fit)

just as this applies, so does the fact that these sheep are causing damage to someone elses property and as such you can endever to reduce/stop this by removing the sheep.

just because it is so in europe does not mean it is so here. check with the owner and the council/citezans advice beuro before dropping yourself in it.

some landowners may have old rights to use woodlands for grazing(cattle,sheep,pigs).

let us know how you get on.

Yes we pay for the stalking and it is owned by woodlands, we have already had to report to DEFRA as we found a dead cow in the water course which leads into a resavior we reported it to the farmer with the ear tag number but he was no interested

Trouble is ,what guarantee have you that it wont happen again even if the offenders are rounded up .Seems to me that its a simple case of boundary fencing and that as he has livestock to fence in its his job to do so .I would be quoting the old finders keepers to the baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaastard :clapper:

you don't want to piss him off, on the other hand you are paying for nothing/very little untill this is sorted( roe really don't like sheep).

try having a word,offer him help in getting them out of the wood. help him fix the fence in return for permission to shoot his fields( i find this is better than quoting from the law etc,in my experiance the farmer will respond better to a freindly offer).

just as roe do not like sheep,farmers don't like being told what to do.they can be helpfull and a pain in the hind quarter.

try to be diplomatic and he might have somethin g for you.explain that you pay good mone for the land and that the livestock is not helping.

i would try the softly softly approach first, if that doesn't work then you have no choice but to drop some fence and drive the beasts onto his field and let him know they are there( he will not like this one) and nothing is worse than a bad neighbor.

let us know how this one works out mate.